Blue Catfish below dams

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by master_cat, Feb 3, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    can blues be caught in the tailwaters of dams this time year cause i was thinkin of tryin old hickery dam tomorw

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Brent,this is my favorite time for blues below dams. I don't fish there much in the summer because there is just to many people. I don't know how deep the water is there ,but here I only fish about 10 ft. deep. I do use a bait boat and fish about 300 yds.out and 1/2 water noodle for a float. Bait is any thing I can find,shad,perch,shinners, etc.You may have to adjust your depth but the fishing is great.

3. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im fishin in ten thinkin of trying the ole hickory dam in a few

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My favorite place to fish for big blues is below a dam while the spawn is going on they stack up there and getting bait is easy too

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've done well below dams in the summer at night for good numbers of blues with channels and some flats mixed in. I've never got any giants from under dams though. My biggest under a dam is only 16 lb. Lots of rocks too, and I lost alot of rigs. I've had better luck in the spring alittle further down from the dam about 1/4-1/2 mile. I think a lot of times there is so much bait under dams that the fish pretty much have allt hey want to eat. It's a big buffet to them up there.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    They have been catching them below the dam in Alton Illinois all winter. I fish the Mississippi river about 30 miles south of Alton, and I have been catching some blues near discharges where the water warms. Only little ones though. A couple 15 pounders and thats it. Good Luck Fishing.:cool:

7. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Personally I like to find the deepest holes around bridges and pillars, old river channel intersections or traffic lanes if you will and watch for Gulls, that will tell you where the Shad are stacking up. Fish stay real close to their food supply and can usually be caught fishing nearby in deep water. Below lake Dardanelle isn't very deep except for a few scoured holes and if I were to fish below the dam it have to be several miles down in deeper waters. I prefer to fish the tributaries up in the main lake in 50+ depths that's where I've done best this time of year.:cool:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Joe, if you're fishing on the Dardanelle side below the powerhouse, there's a hole about 10' deep almost exactly even with the white fence at the end of the turnaround. It's roughly a good cast out from shore. When drift fishing there, most of our fish were either caught as close as possible to the powerhouse, or down at the hole.

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    so the blue fishing alright right now i guess lol

10. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can catch blues beneath dams all year long. I fish Alton as my home waters and fish it hard all summer long and some in the fall and winter and have had luck year round with blues below the dams.

11. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Find a current break, and wait him out.

12. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    We have very good results below the dams

13. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dams are good area's to fish, be careful they can pull you up into them very Quickly.

14. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I like to fish with a slip bobber right up on the dam face and let it float into the holes.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been down below the dam a couple of times in the last week, Haven't been able to get anything of size though, never really caught any consistantly big cats under old hickory. I believe it is just fished to much