Blue Catfish Beds

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by F250CAT, Jun 25, 2009.

1. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    What are people’s thoughts on where we are at timing wise for Blues spawning right now around St Louis? Think they will be done and back on the sand by July 6th Full Moon?

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Id say were just in it a few short weeks, and for the next 4-5 weeks of fishing will get tough.

All the fish we caught last week didnt have one scratch on em. Not one. I fully expected to see some of them tore up a bit, but no dice. They are normally beat up pretty good after spawning here on the sippi.

3. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    That's kind of what I figured. Thought maybe even a couple weeks into it may be generous.

I was going through some pictures from last year and have one dated July 19 that was one of the most tore up fish I'd ever caught. I guess I was just hoping it would go faster...

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You and me both. I usually dont fish much middle of June to middle of July do to the spawn, but this year has been strange. Guys have been belting some fish this year much later than usuall. Late spawn I'd guess, but obviously dont know for sure. I'll be after em in earnest in August though :wink:

5. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

I Agree with you on that Cuz! Late July to August should be prime time.:big_smile:

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    It's been a weird year for sure. We were out on Monday night and caught a few flathead and a blue that was all tore up. The water temp downtown was 83*. The flatheads are biting cut bait pretty good right now but the blues were a little tougher for us. Swamp and I did catch 10 - 12 blues on sunday night but nothing very big and none of those even had a scratch on them. So your guess is as good as mine at this point. I would say that we are probably in the thick of it right now.

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I did end up catching my new PB flathead on Monday night. It wasn't too hard to do since my previous pb was only 11 lbs but it was a long time coming. He hit on cut mooneye in 6' of water. Didn't have a scale or a camera with us but he was a good fish. Took the picture with my phone. Thanks for taking me out there Slipknot!

[​IMG]

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    the pic in my avatar was taken about two weeks ago and she was cut up pretty bad. not sure if this is just a fluke or if they've started or what. seems like they've turned off here in atchison on the missouri the past week and a half or so... :sad2:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congrats on the new PB Flattie Punkin. Its a, dare i say, "Dandy" :smile2:

10. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri

Congrats Ryan on the nice flathead. However, I can't believe you hit the river without a scale!

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This IS punkin were talking about Chris. Are you really that suprised? :smile2:

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    It has been so hot that I haven't been bringing my dry bag that has all that stuff in it. I figure if it rains it will just cool me down so the rain gear is the reason I usually bring the darn thing. He might not be the biggest fish but he thought he was. He put up one heck of a fight, I thought I had a really good fish on.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Pound for pound, the flattys definitely put on a better fight than the blues. I'd like to hook about a 90 pound flattie to make the comparison :wink:

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Is a 'DANDY' a good'un or not?:roll_eyes:

That looks like a good'un but not sure if it's a 'DANDY'.

Someone clear this up, I'd like to know in case I ever catch a 'DANDY' one again!:embarassed:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm the 'official' proclaimer of 'dandism'. I'll let ya know if you qualify for dandy status or not, but you gotta catch a fish skippy :smile2::wink:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I gotta get on that fish catching thing:embarassed:. It's been a busy year for me with boat projects and home projects!

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I feel your pain. I'm in the planning stages for a major patio project for the Mrs. Complete with two 20 foot walk paths, leading to a 200 square foot patio under a pergola, which then leads to a 400 square foot patio with parapet walls and a fire place. :sad2:

Just doing some quick math, this is about a 3 thousand dollar project and lord knows how much labor. Here I come Ma Blue. I need some money lol The only thing thats keeping me motivated for this project is just how many kitchen passes I'm earning :smile2:

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I feel your pain also. My deck and pergola project cost $10K just for materials. Plus I spent a LOT of lonely hours in the yard building it!

Now Mrs. SkipEye wants an inground pool!:eek:oooh:

After shopping prices in the midwest I may have to build that also. It surely can't be rocket science, I bet even a PILOT could do it!:smile2:

EDIT: I think you better at least double your estimate there bud! Have you priced stone or lumber?

19. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I think I would pay to watch that Skippy. He He He :smile2:

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well:roll_eyes:........I definately would have to sub out the concrete work! Know anyone that can work concrete or shot-crete?:wink: