Blue Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Apr 11, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    alright I dont really know how to locate and catch shad or skippys for bait, but I have an unlimited supply of fresh bluegill(cut and alive). do the blues hit just as well on bluegill sides as they do shad? and how can I locate shad(I have a castnet). thanks for the info!

Ryan

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ryan, I seldom use shad, but I do use a lot of bream/blue gills and white perch for bait. My favorite piece of bait from a blue gill or bream is the head, not a big head but one from a 4" gill or bream. Side filets from bream/gills is okay, but not as good as the head. White perch is an excellent bait and you can use the side filets and head. I have caught my share of big blues and flatheads using just fish heads. Check out the fish (25 to 40 pounders) I have caught in the last two weeks on the NC board of the BOC. In cut bait, make sure it is fresh and you will get better results. Mac

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the blues will hit the live/cut bluegills. But I would use them live.

4. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I use cut bluegill all the time and white perch. I am unable to catch shad all the time but i do get them by walking the shore and throwing the net. Sometime i get alot and them sometimes i get skunked. I dont have a boat either so that is a hinder sometimes. Cut bluegill is a great bait IMO. I also like using them live to. Hope this helps you out.

5. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think ulll get moe flatts on the blugill right?

6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Right answer to the wrong question.

Where I fish cut bait in small pieces will catch more Blues than whole or live. The cut perch/gill is tougher and stays on the hook better. I would rather have three five pounders than one 15 pounder.

7. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    my friend kenny went to santee cooper and caught a 25 pounder off of whole bluegill and every time he goes he catches something pretty big.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Bream heads are great bait for blues or channel cats. I prefer the small ones like 3 to 4 inch bluegills.

Cheez

9. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Bluegills both cut and live make good bait for blues and channels. Carp also make good cut bait. Catch one 3-4 lb carp and you have quite a bit of fresh cut bait. Be sure to leave skin on one side to hook through. It will stay on until something bites, but try to keep fresh bait on you hook. Shad can usually be found in any feeder creeks and along windy shore lines and wind blown points. Try to spot them flipping the surface before throwing the net. It can save you a few throws, your arms and your back.

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Never caught a blue on live bait....until two weeks ago when my son pulled in a 18lber on a live bream:big_smile: What a fight!!!!! Have always been using cut bait for em.Won't be now:wink: :big_smile: .I guess you nevere know what you will get off the bottom huh?

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I think it safe to say that a blue or a channel cat will eat most anything that will fit in their mouths live or dead. Several years ago I caught a 19 pound channel cat that had a 4 inch snapping turtle in it's belly. I caught the fish on an 11 inch Gillraker plastic worm while bass fishing. I also witnessed a guy and I believe it was EricM last year at Chickamauga Lake and he was absolutely slaying the blues with live shad. My partner and I were using livers and catching a few in the same area he was but he embarassed us with the numbers and size of the fish he was catching on the live bait.

Cheez