BLUE CATFISH AT NIGHT

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    HOW DO BLUES ACT AT NIGHT DO THEY FEED THE SHALLOWS FOR BAIT, LIKE FLATHEADS, OR ARE THEY THE SAME ALL THE TIME,

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think blues are a more open water fish than a flathead day or night.
    I do not think that blues are near as fond of cover, wood or rocks as
    a flathead. I'm saying this as a general rule, I have caught flats in open
    water and blues in log jams.LOL

3. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Blues like current flow, but move shallows at times.
    prefer moving water. They will go where the food are
    shallow or deep.

4. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    I have had most of my luck anchored at the drop off where the deep comes up to shallow fishin diffrent depths

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Drifting flats right off the river channel in lakes produces best for me at night.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks, i think i got a spot for that, its a feeder creek that drops off 30 feet at the mouth with alot of shad, so ill be triying that, this heat i think puts a damper on them,i belive they will stack up in the fall here, its below the altone dam powerplant if you know illinois

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    They will follow the food xcaught them just about every where though.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I haven't caught a lot of them at night but I've always just caught them in the same spots I catch them in during the day. That may be why I don't catch as many:smile2:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    now listen boys lol umkay lol, bluecats are differant in differant areas were i fish, the drop offs are 50 to 70 yards out, were some may fish, they might be 15 foot like the cumberland and james river, and yeas they will go were the bait goes, but 9 times out of ten, its not buy the altone area, its in the channel, umkay lol:smile2::angry:

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All of the places that I have learned to catch blues around here....takes a good cast to get away from the bank and into the deeper water. If I can hit into the edge of the river channel where it starts to drop off into deeper water....I can usually hook up with a good blue or 2 . Many of the areas I fish for Bluecats....it takes a good 50-75 yard cast with at least a 4 oz sinker to hold. Sometimes it takes a bigger sinker like a 6 or 8 to hold. Even though these are lakes....they are more like rivers when your in the main channel. (Lake Barkley)& ( Kentucky Lake).:cool2:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    johs right, you can get then shallow but not the norm the dnr backs this up,not saying you guys dont get them shallow in your area but, its not the norm,

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    in rivers... as a rule... at night.... i catch most of them at......

sandbars, not at channel drop, but rather at the secondary sandbar drop, i.e., channel is 30is ft. motor towards the sandbar and usually is gradually shallows, but at a point there is usually a ledge, from maybe 12 ft to 6 ft. fish both sides of said ledge.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    see thats a totaly differant typ river than were i go, the drop ff iss 50 yards and its rare to get them in a 12 hour night from the bank,but you can,plus it takes 14 oz to hold the current, i cant sling that, i just got to buy a boat, to get blues in illinois,unless some dude says i get blues all the time from the place im not wasting anymor money, mr alton got 3 good ones but he lives in alton, i live far from their, so my chances are not good at all

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Ask some of them boys with the gateway club they fish over at alton alot . If thats where you are talking about .

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the gateway club said you need a boat, but ill talk to them some more, its killing me:angry:

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've caught several at night real close to the bank anywhere from 1-25lbs. It seems the bigger ones stay in the deep strong current though. At least from my experience. Most big daddys in this area are caught in 50 ft of water.

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Me and thecatman went out to the river last night and caught so many blues I loss count.Stareted getting day light and not a bite.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats texas bro, your luky, im in the worst state of the us, not including ca, or the big apple,here in ill, you got to have money, if you want alot of blues, some will argue that

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    you forgot PA, we don't even have blue cats here:sad2:

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You already said it brother, you need a boat!