Blue catfish are the biggest - Here's proof!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Me and my fishin and soon to be huntin buddy Owen had this big disagreement over which species grows bigger-Channels or blues. He's always caught channels, and I've always caught blues, although Sunday I caught my first channel. Well, I did some researchand compiled a list of 18 states and their record blue, channel, and mud/flathead catfish. Guess who won the debate? Me and my blues!

I have the entire list in Excel, so I can't upload it. However, Blues were only beaten in size twice by Flatheads. Channels were always the smallest. The biggest blue was 121.5 lbs. out of Texas. The biggest flatty was 123 lbs. from Kansas. The biggest Channel was 58 lbs out of North Carolina. The average record blue weighed 98 lbs, avg. flatty weighed 78 lbs, and the avg record channel weighed 39 lbs. If you would like to see the entire list, pm me with your email address and I'll try to get it to you.

Now don't get me wrong, I love all those whiskered stinkers, but its true that blues get the biggest.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good post John,
    Hopefully we can all add to those records.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I wonder what kind of a battle that guy had catching that Kansas 123 lb. flathead. :0a23:

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Troy, check out flathead sectoin 150 flattie thread for the story about the Kansas/world record

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    My eyes are going to fall off...... mud cat/ bullhead listed with the allmighty flathead. :crying:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brad, it took me to the old site. Where is it listed under?

7. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
  8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    that texas blue record was broke this past may by a fish out of the missisippi river that, i believe, was around 125 pounds. and i hate to break it to ya ,but that fish your brother caught was a channel. you can find all the identification specifics on this website to properly tell the two species apart. just go through some of the old posts and you will find the info.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here is a pic of that world record blue caught last may in alton. It weighed in at a hefty 124lbs

10. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

JW,
    Don't know what i would do,if i pulled a fish like that ,up beside the boat.Just think if you were fishin by yourself,it would be on then! :D
    Ernie

11. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    now im extremely confused, i thought i knew catfish. what tells you it was a channel? in the channel section there's a pic of a channel i caught from the same lake, wouldn't my brother's fish look more similar to that one?

12. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Well, I can tell you for sure that blues grow much bigger than channels. However, if you are looking at records for comparison you need to look at world records (not state records). Last time I saw the world record list the flathead beat the blue (by about 20 pounds) but the blue beat the channel (by about 50 pounds). I don't have a membership to the IGFA (International Game Fish Association); however, they are in charge of record keeping and establishing records. The fish only count if they say say it counts (there are too many people who try to cheat); however, it seems some of you are saying the 124 pound blue did meet requirements. So, I guess (record wise) that the blue beats the flathead by about 1 pound. However, all in all they must grow to about the same maximum size (unlike the channel which reaches a maximum size of about 60 lbs. - 58 lbs. according to the IGFA record). However fish in Europe, Asia, and South America grow bigger.

However, records are not the best method for comparison to answer the question of "what is the maximum size" they reach. Rather, you need to look for any fish discovery (not just caught on rod and reel). I've never seen this information on North American Catfish. Then, you must realize these are extreme fish (usually very old) and rare. Its like saying "how tall does a person get" and then using the tallest human Robert Wadlow at 8'11" as the answer. Of course this is extreme, most people never get anywhere close to this height. However, if you are asking for average maximum size, it depends on location and climate (but blues are always bigger than channels). In the warm states fish are active all year long and grow larger; however, in both the north and south they reach the same age maximum. However, we must also realize, there may be bigger fish that are never caught or seen out there. The largest catfish on record, I believe, is a 646 pound Thai catfish that was netted.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8404622/
    http://www.team-swap.com/wordpress/2005/06/30/worlds-largest-catfish-wow/

Keep up the good work and questions. I've noticed you do alot of postings. You ask a lot of questions, thats the makings of a good biologist/scientist. People should always ask questions (if you notice on this postings I was intrigued by your question and expanded it to include flatheads when researching it for my own curiosity - biologists often expand off one anothers work). When I was your age, I wrote all my school reports on fishing. I studied fishing in my free time, like your compilation of numerous state records. So, in school I studied biology and fisheries and worked summers at DNR. I graduated this summer and am now looking for a full time position with DNR or something like that. So, are you looking to become a fisheries biologist or ichthyologist?

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The long standing NC channel cat record was struck down this year as it was identified to be a flathead from a photo.
    As far as I know our channel record is still open.
    Starting weight will be 20 pounds.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, 20 lb takes the state record channel cat. They did indeed find that the previous state record of 40 lb 8 oz out of Lake Fontana was a flathead, I dont know how they could have mistaken it.... :confused:

I fished Fontana Lake a couple years ago, because everyone thought that the state record channel cat was from there....I got skunked....Water's very clear there and there's pratically no bank spots to fish and no-one was willing to help us eithier :sad: :rolleyes:

Good luck :)

15. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I've heard this question asked about whitetail deer so im gonna ask it about catfish. What state or water will hold the next U.S record catfish of any species?

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Well if you want to talk the biggest catfish in north america with actual photo proof than the flathead would be the king. I have seen pics of flatheads up to 157lbs out of texas, one that weighed 140lbs from arkansas back in the early 80's , the biggest blue I have seen proof of is 141lbs a few years back out of the Ohio in a hoop net. Flatheads over 100lbs are there but nobody targets the big fish in the big waters such as the Mighty mississippi and the Ohio. THe world records will probaly come from the Mississippi.

17. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    On that old post about the 150lb flattie there was a question of the biggest that they know caught. THe biggest i know was caught by river_rat_42's grandpa in the 40's i think. He caught it on a trot line with a dead chicken. I've heard the old timers talk about it a few times. In the pic hes got a big hook through its lip and a rope over his shoulder and its tail is touching the ground.

18. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah technically Blues get the biggest you will see alot more 100lb blues than you will see 100lb flatheads. I remeber reading an article in infisherman that blues are bigger.

But over in Europe you have wells and other things. Theres over 6000 types of cats fresh and salt water.

19. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    ive got two places i need to fish before i die.

1. Spain for giant wells
    2. Amazon for peacock bass and parrot catfish (50 lbs. is considered a small one)