blue catfish are a pain

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 7, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    man as yall know i just started blue fishing from the bank its a pain, you got to get theese 12 foot rods ,spool up with alot of line, its just a pain i wish theyed come closer to the banklike flatheads

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patience, and more important is to be sure you are fishing in a area that has blues. I think you know the area I fish is around the Melvin Price Lock and Dam. That area will give you blues 99% of the time if you are using cut bait. I only bank fish and the last 3 or 4 weeks have been bad. But I know one of these weeks it will change. When the 30 to 70#'s roll in the fun will begin. Patience because they are there.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know i just need to learn all i can befor making the trip,i know three good bank spots, both sides of the dame and by the powerplanton the ill side

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    My blue in my avatar was in 7' of water 18' or so from the bank:wink: Trust me they swim where they want too,, bait fish is a good key too.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hear they come shallow down south in the smaller rivers than they do on the missisipie, but im giving it a twelv hour shot casting as far as i can with king kael hooks and gamma circals, 8 oz weghts and any cutbait i can find

6. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    alot of the blue cats i have caught are not that big mostly in the ten to fifteen pound range have been caught on four pound test with an ultra light while blue gill fishing. Who ever said blues do not come close has never seen a feeding frenzy with shad. There was a day two years ago i was fishing for blue gill about two feet out trying to get a good piece of bait to use and i hooked a 14.9 pound blue on a wax worm and all day long i caught them about two to three feet out. It can be done close

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    why the hell are you casting out so far??? if i was in a boat fishing the same area i would be sitting were you are casting to throwing back toward the bank...... :smile2: you are over thinking it again!! throw it out there 20 or 30yrds and see if you dont catch one,,,,,:cool2: fishing structure is more important than trying to throw to the middle of the middle of the lake!!

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the only place i try to cast way out is at the dam on the MO. side Jake you need to relax bro you are taking all the fun out of it for yourself

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know dalles, i just live along ways and i ask alot and analize to get the best resalt, im not in good health and im broke so i want to get a 40 or up,dont let me annoy you to much, lol

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can't begin to tell you how many 30-60 pound blues I pulled out of 2-12 feet of water within 10 yards of the bank this past winter and spring. I guess 50 or 60 fish at least. The big fish hunt where the bait fish are loafing. The fish in my Avatar, I caight in Feb. in 5 feet of water about 6 feet off the bank.

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The one in my avatar was in about 10 ft of water. I have pulled them out of deeper water too but if their hungry they will be where the bait is. Jake just go out and enjoy yourself you maybe trying too hard.:wink::smile2:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i do i try way to hard, but like i say its not in my hood,lol im in flathead country, so i want to be rigged ideal on everthing, my dream is to pull in a 50 or over blue

13. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Slikk03 i hear bro me in my brother float trip willie where bank kings until the water start getting tricky. I was told the same thing just b patient. But from what i c when i go fishing is that where every u c bait turning over in the water there gotta b fish chasing em.

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Jake, sounds like your overthinking. Keep it simple. Find the bait you will find the blues. They do 2 things very well. They eat and they breed. you will find blues in the deep water, but when they are hungry don't be surprised to find them in as little as 2-3' of water chasing bait. Think it might do you some good to go out with somebody that knows the river and how to fish for blues and can show ya somethings to shorten the learning curve. What might work for flatheads doesn't always mean it will work for Blues. 2 different styles.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My thoughts exactly. My boat is a means to get to the best bank fishing spots most of the time :wink:.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the local guys are bombarding me saying , you got to be in the main channel, or your wasting time,look at the illinois forum , i think its the river, its got no drop offs, so they say you got to be 50 to 60 yards out, screw that, ,the next trip i make im coming prepared for these cats, also i talked to the locals and they said they only pull one or 2 big ones out from the bank, a week, and thats everyday guys so my chances are not good, i dont know how to realy fish for them, in the river, now in the lake i can get ten to 30 pounders , so ill be focasing on powerton ill, ill sucks, i had alot of guys say you need a boat im wasting my time their, im at a loss,and im broke lol its starting to get unpleasent and thats not what fishing is about, so im done with trying altone for a few months

17. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    hey slikk
    If you fish lakes in the cold months, the shad will winter kill. When this happens look for a bay or a point on the down wind side of the water your fishing. The wind and waves kinda corral the dead shad and the blue cats know this so they come on over to this shallow bay to gorge themselves on all the dead shad, so they will be shallow at this time, its like what all the other brothers are sayin, follow the bait. As far as finding this pattern in a river though i am not sure. I would figure to find a nice little eddy or sand bar something that would collect this dead drifting shad and give that a go. I do believe that big blues like the channel in a large river, now i am not saying they are glued to the channel they do leave it but it is hard to tell when that happens, but another option would be to fish a outside bend, usually the channel in those bends comes rather close to the bank, so it would be a easy lob cast to reach it instead of a hail mary. Hope this helps if you have any further questions shoot me a pm.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill get into it it took 3 years to learn to flathead fish, but the lake is a cooling lake theirs no die offs, its the only lake around ill stocked with bluecats but there not over 50 pounds the biggest caght was 40, but its only been 6 years so i bet thers alot of 40s in their i like the lake becouse its all ten foot deep, and they feed all over,but i doght ill pull a 60 or 70 out of their

19. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Slikk, the best thing to do is just have fun fishig man, I realize you are coming a long way, and there are some really good bank areas to fish, I dont know who you were talkin to but you dont have to have a boat to catch fish, anybody who says that just plain dont know what the H*ll they are talking about. Now, this time of year is a little ruff as far as the fishin goes, rivers are coming up (good) but then they go down quick to(bad) I would watch rivergauges webpage and see whent the river is supposed to steady out, go down below whatever dam you are going and have fun, talk to whomever is down there and relax. PS, I have seen you on gateway cats forum, before you come down post a topic to see who is goin out fishin, most of us if we are headin out would love to show you a good time of fishin.

Chad

ps, just becasue you in a boat dont mean you catch fish, gotten skunked several times this year already, ad I have been in some good spots.

20. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have caught my bggest blue about 230 yards from the nbank and alot of other ones also.Stick with it you will get one.