Blue catfish and Time

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When fishing for Blues @ night when do you all have your best luck? Time wise that is......

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    11:00pm seems like the magic time. Give or take 30 min. but I really like fishing around 11......

3. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    my best time is about 1:30am but any time can be good its all about whene they want to eat

4. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Hey matt i hope we get into them saturday night it would be cool of trevor could catch a good one since this will only be like his third time out!

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My best luck has been coming between 10:30 pm and 3:00 am. A few before and after that, but the best during then.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have caught my biggest blues in the early evening just before dark.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Last half hour of light is usually my active time during pre spawn.
    Half hour before light through first hour of light during post spawn.
    But these are the time I favor and get out, like the post spawn period, it's plain hot out so the early morning is the coolest time.

9. wooleybugger

wooleybugger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seems like we always do best once that sun just gets out of the way

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't know, I've seen em turn on and/or off at just about all hours of the day and night. If there is a pattern I haven't been able to figure it out yet and it's not because of lack of trying . I guess if I could only fish at one time of day though I'd probably pick dusk, second pick would be dawn. Then again................

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Usually I do best on the lakes from about 5:30 am to about 11:00 am.

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    In my experience it depends on a lot of factors. Is it a full moon? Is there current? What time of year? When I made my mind up to figure these Blue Cat out I fished all night every chance I got. I learned a lot. One thing that I learned is that they are MUCH more predictable in the daytime. I have caught fish at all hours of the night without a discernable pattern, it seems to depend on other factors that affect the food supply and living conditions. Fishing in the daytime seems to eliminate a lot of the variables.

One thing about fishing in the summer, with the water temps in the upper 80s and low nineties the fish are gonna have to eat day or night. Their metabolism is racing and they won't go too long without feeding. I have caught them before and after storms and with and without current or wind. I don't like to give in to the old adage "they ain't biting today". See ya on the water!

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Think BIGMAGIC is right on re daytime predictabillity. 1/2 hour before dark is magical in my book. Kills me to have to be getting bait at that time-I need to be looking for them well before dark to do well.

I think as soon as the sun gets at the low angle causing shadows the blues are staging for the eavining and thats when I get them most.