Blue Catfish and Reserviors in Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by FWFeecherman, Aug 11, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all! Can anyone tell me if there is a Blue cat population in any of our resovoirs in Indiana? If so, which ones? Im hoping to add a blue cat to my catch list and Im trying to find close places since the *%$#^*) price of gas. Thanks for any help and as always, Tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!!

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Bevaun, most of the resevores, have a population. We could help more if we kown what part of the state you are in. In the library there is a lot of info on bluecats. Finding the right structure is the key and using th rght bait helps. Pretty much what hold true for and place is rue for others or at least a good starting spot. Good luck.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know Brookville has a good population of blue cats. Eagle Creek has some, but from what I hear they are few and far between. People say they are in Morse and Geist, Morse maybe, never seen one though, but Geist, no way.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Monroe has a very good population of blues. They are more abundant than the flatheads but don't generally reach the size of the flatheads. Flatheads are a great, and under utilized, fish at Monroe. There are a dozen caught every summer over 45 pounds and usually 2-3 over 60. And that's just between the few local fisherman that target them. I talked to one guys at the baitshop that says during spring a 30 pound flathead is common and he catches one about every day. But the flatheads will average 8-10 pounds.

The blues will average 4-5 pounds but I have seen some 20 pounders pulled out, never much bigger though....I would mark baitfish and if you find the wipers you will find the blue cats

5. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brookville has a good population of Blues. Geist resevoir has blues as well. I have caught several there near 30#. Generally I catch them on the main river channel near the dam. There are some islands near the dam that I have Caught some nice fish off of. Generally off of those island points, but some times around the island ballon fishing over the grass. Summit lake also has some though they are few, but generally large.

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my biggest blue cat was caught at Monroe and it was 18lbs... Caught it at the Paynetown Boat ramp... But i have seen 40# pounder Flaheads come out of there also.. used to fish there with my stepdad and his friend about twice a week when i was a teenager.. But with that size of body of water i know there has got to be some monsters in there... I have also caught some nice flatheads ( but have only heard of blue cats ) at Cataract lake...... And also at the Lower falls of Cataract...... But have heard good things also about Geist...

7. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all the posts. I live in Ft. Wayne so thatzs the area Im trying to get close to. I dont have too much faith in catching a blue close to me. I get about the same answers from anyone I ask. I have fished Monroe for wipers and had a blast. I guess maybe if I get a chance to do that again I'll see about the blues as well. I usually go after the wipers in Novemeber. You guys think the blues will still be biting in a reservoir then? I read a lot that the Blues don't mind the cold weather. It looks like if I want that monster blue (30 +) Im going to have to head to the OH river. Thanks again and tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!

8. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've caught alot of blue cats out of salimonie this year. Nothing over 10# but I wasn't really fishing for them. They are there.

9. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey shortbus. Thanks for the info. Are you sure those cats in salamonie are blues and not channels? I had the local fisheries biologist tell me there were no blues in salamonie. He said they are all channels. I have had them tell me there were no flats in a river before and went out and caught some though. Thanks again!

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    yeah they are blue cats different tail and anal fin from a channel

11. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Eagle Creek Reservoir has a small population of blues. I have never really targeted larger ones. If there are small ones, there are bound to be big ones. The 52lb flattie in my avatar was caught in Eagle Creek just north of lafayette road last May. Good luck out there!