Blue catfish and gar

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by beaneye46, Jul 12, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was wondering what is a good bait that gar wont mess with because there are tons of gar in my area, and it only takes about 5 minutes for a gar to bite when fishing with shad.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    About the only thing they want bite and a catfish will is stink bait and maybe night crawlers.What I usually do if I get more than three gar strikes I move.I would stick with the shad it will produce bigger fish than stink bait and crawlers, another thing you might want to try is driftin gar want hit as much when youre driftin dont get me wrong because they will hit but not as often as if it where sittin still.

3. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    If you have current in your area, try fishing that. Gar don't seem to like it as much as still water. I'd stick with shad as bait tho.

4. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Try zote soap. It works good on small to medium size cats. Im not sure what the water temp is were you fish but here in texas its 85 and the soap melts slow and works good no gar.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hmmm i wonder how the bluecats would prefer a nice piece of bloody gar :wink: i don't think the gar would be too canibalistic but you never know...

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Ain't found nothin' that'll stop 'em yet. But I'll keep on checkin' this post for some tips. Good luck findin' the answer.

-Red

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    For live bait, I use Mudcats (Black or Yellow Bullhead Cats). The bigger Blues and Flats will hit them but I have nevercaught a gar one...yet.

8. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would try fishing deeper holes with shad. Current wouldn't be bad either ,but i have never caught a gar in a whole deeper than 25 foot.:canny:

9. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I think gar will eat anything, including a dead gar.

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    You're right Brian I've caught gar off of gar before, doesn't seem to phase them.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dead, cut bait, seems to mostly catch the cats around here, the Gar here only bite live bait.

12. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i would try to get get it deep as fast as you can never caught gar off the bottom alway caught with 3 to 5 feet of the surface

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have never had a gar hit a cut bait on or near the bottom while cat fishing. I have have days in the summer where they were surfacing all around the boat and had to place a live bait out on a bobber to catch one.

With that said, Tatersalad and I were fishing with his step-son and he caught one on a piece of cut bait!! LOL!! Probably about eight pounds, and a beast to hold up and get a picture of!! Its dang scales cut a slit in my hand.

BTW tatersalad, where is that pic????