Blue catfish and deep water

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by foothills, Jun 5, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when is it needed to "burp" blue cats??...shallow water blues seem to be ok when released but deep water blues (30 feet or more) seem to need "burped" so they can return to deep water...why can't blues "burp" themselves naturally and what is the best method of burping blue cats...if they are not "burped" before release how long before they die and how do they die??...i hope that this thread will not only help me but also make others aware that when releasing blues they need to be "burped" to ensure good health and survival.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    foothills, blue cats can and do burp themselves naturally when brought from deep water, if brought up slow enough. I have had to burp blues that I have brought up from deep water several times, though. You can burp fish several ways, I have laid their bellies on the edge of my boat and drawn the fish forward slowly, and also have ran my hand in their mouth and opened up their throat to let the air escape. Vern

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Craig use the search feature at the top of the page and input Burping and you should have enough reading material for several nights.I use a section of PVC pipe (1/2inch) for the job when needed.Blues can burp themselves as VP stated unless they are brought up to fast.A guide told me that he simply tied the fish to his anchor line and let it out so the fish would sink bank down and have a chance to burp itself.:big_smile::lol:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Excuse me but what is burping?

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

blues that are caught in water over 25 to 30 feet need to be burped sometimes which means there air bladder fills up and sometimes when the fish is released it can't swim even a foot deep...it just rolls around on the surface and will eventually die...so you have to burp them and release the air from there air bladder for them so they don't die...this is my understanding of it and i want to know what the best and safest method is for releasing the air so the fish is unharmed.

6. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I've rarely had a need to "burp" a bluecat, as I like to bring them up slowly. However, I've had 3 (the one in my avitar is one of them), that stayed on the surface after I released them. They were easy to re-net, and then I use the method mentioned by Jim......a half inch piece of pvc (no sharp edges) is inserted down the throat gently. You will hear the air rush out... sometimes they will barf also. They then swam away as if nothing ever happened. They will die if they won't swim to the bottom. Good luck!!!

7. wader

wader New Member

State:
    george west texas
    WOW !! guys thanks for the thread and also for the information I had never heard of burping a fish.......I not only learned that it may need to be done but how to do it......great site learned something new today.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the ifo, foothills.

9. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Don't want to give any dis-information but I've seen deep water saltwater fish come up with the air bladder extended out of their mouth. to relieve the pressure a small hole was pricked in the bladder to release the air. This does little damage to the fish as the small wound heals easily. Don't know if this applies to catfish as I've never seen one that needed a "burp"

10. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've never had to burp any blues that I've caught and I'd say the vast majority were caught in 35-50 feet of water. They must burp themselves.

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

i think it has alot to do with how fast you bring the fish up to the boat...the bigger fish that i catch that take a few minutes to get to the surface actually release fairly large bubbles that you can see...i landed a 27 lb blue last week that actually released bubbles twice so it did not need "burping"...we also caught a 5 lber that day that was brought to the boat quickly and when we realeased it the blue just rolled around on the surface because it's air bladder was full.

12. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had fish around 10-15 pds that i'm sure needed burped but I ate them instead. Can't help it I love them blues:big_smile:

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    From everything I've read on burping related to catfish....you DO NOT want to puncture their air bladder! I've heard this can kill them.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Excuse me but what is burping?..."

Good question.

Gases in fish in deep water are highly compressed, and as they rise quickly to shallower water the gases expand. If the fish is retrieved quickly from deep water the fish is unable to release the gas itself because the amount of pressure on the pneumatic duct.

The best solution is to prevent the gas build up, and the best way to do this is to "play" the fish once it is off the bottom and away from obstructions. This allows the fish to expel the gas naturally. A couple of "stops" in the fight along the way will eliminate these gases.

Personally I have only had one problem with burping a fish and it was a small channel cat that came out of 40 feet of water. Since it was small it came in quickly. Most bigger fish are more of a battle and the gases will expel during the fight.

15. kimmysan0

kimmysan0 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Hello fellows, I'm new in the here. I was surprised my first really large tournament weigh-in that I had a 62lb blue that wouldn't swim down upon release. The fish would try it's best to dive under but would always come up and do so off center. It was like it couldn't balance it's self in the water; lying from side to side. I revived the fish--wrongly I might add- back and forth in the water gently for about 30 minutes. That was probably my lowest moment in fishing, thinking of how much pride and joy that fish had given me at weigh-in and then not being able to send him back off. Finally, after watching the fish flutter in the water about 10 yards from the ramp, Phil King relaunched his boat and proceed to burp 5 large blues (mine included) that were released and struggling. All of the fish as soon as they were burped proceed back to the depths in a lively manner. That was my first time I even heard of "burping a Cat". It works, and if your a monster hunter as I am, it needs to be something that you are familiar with. A lively fish that can't seem to submerge itself needs to be burped .

16. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It works, and if your a monster hunter as I am, it needs to be something that you are familiar with. A lively fish that can't seem to submerge itself needs to be burped .[/quote]

this is so true and that's why i started this thread cause there are so many people that don't realize that fish need to be burped properly to survive. thanks for sharing your story greg!!