blue catfish and circal hooks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Sep 12, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, i got a qwestion for yall, i was not using circals due to my rod boncing up and down,but i think its small ones,how do you go about using circals, do you wait for the rod to double over or pick it up wen it bounces hard, i switched over to gammas ,but i know im going to miss the smaller ones that tap the rod,but, i lost just as manny on clikers with kaels

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jake,I dont use circles on cats except on rare occasions. They have to have the rod "loaded" or bent way over to hook cats ,I just cant resist setting the hook when my rod bows. Kahles will wiok the same as circles if the fish are biting aggressive.

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Most of the time wene you get a bite useing a circle hook the hook is allready set, just keep your line tight and wined it in. If you start missing alot of fish. Use a trailer hook. I'll take a small treble hook and 6'' of line tie the treble hook to one end and tie the other end to the eye of the circle hook. Take one of the hooks on the treble hook and put it in the bottom of your bait. Sometime catfishing don't bit very hard, thats when you have to start fishing harder.

4. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use nothing but circle hooks ...Let the rod load up...I don't touch my rod till the tip hits the water....:wink:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know, so if your poll bends and comes back up then do ya rebait your hook, i get alot of smaller cats hittin ,

6. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use fairly big baits...I too get some small hits were they just bounce the rod...I usually let it set there a bit on a bounce then check the bait...now if it is a slow gradual bend to the water and it pops back up well he never had the hook and I will check the bait immediately...

7. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i was using a team catfish circle hook in the 7/0 range and hooked up on a 1 or 2 pound channel. if they can eat the hook it will get them so i would not be too worried about the little ones.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea thats why i thoght i hated circals, but ive done better with them than kaels,im using both metheds still,

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All my fishing is done tight-lined. If I use the clicker the reel is engaged....I never ever leave it in free spool ( like some do ). IMO you need the drag set well but not to hard to where the fish cant take line out if he is big enough. My fish are hooked as soon as the rod bends hard...not taps. Even a 10# blue will slap a rod over hard. If you have it in free spool your not letting the circle hook set at all, your letting him run, then settin the hook when you lock the reel in gear... I need mine to be hooked as soon as he hits me ; )

So in a nut shell...let that rod slap over hard..then grab it while reeling in and never hand him slack.

G'luck bro...go get er done ; )

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with this post for sure. I use circle hooks for fishing all cut baits. I use the king kahles for fishing live baits for flatheads. I use all circle hooks while fishing for blues with cut baits.

When fishing live baits....I lettem' run with it. While fishing circle hooks with cut baits....I engage the reel and tightline it. Works great for me.:cool2:

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey buddy... try getting some team catfish hooks. Double action.... let them hook themselves or set the hook yoiurself. That will solve all your issues.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got them and gammas, its not a problem just a qwestion of if big blues are not taking the bait , i know teams are the best but pricey