Blue Cat w extra hooks/ w pics

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishsteve, Jul 16, 2006.

1. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I got this 19" blue catfish about a week ago. Thought it might interest frolks for a couple of reasons.

#1, the fish had a large treble hook deep in his mouth already when he took my cutbait and circle hook.

#2; this extra hook didn't seem to be hurting him at all, he was still eating and looked good. The hook was a bit rusty, but in no way was it being disolved yet.

#3; I took pictures. You can see the treble in his mouth just to the right of my circle hook in the corner of his lip in the first picture.

That's right where the circle hooks always get them for me, right in the corner.

I took both hooks out and he swam away.

So, apparently, in some instances, leaving a hook in a badly hooked catfish doesn't hurt them too badly, at least in the short run. I've caught other catfish here and there with a hook already in their mouth and they too, didn't seem too bad for the wear. I felt lucky to get a quick picture this time.
    There is a better photo of the fish in my photo album at the link below.

Attached Files:

2. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Good on ya Steve. By the way I take it you're the same "catfishsteve" that's on the fising discussion forum on the Nebraska Games and Parks site?

SudDawg

3. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thanks Steve for the info and the pic.

:cat:

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the pictures and the post.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great story and pics. Are my eyes seein the almighty never break braided line on that hook? Just curious. LOL!

6. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    George,

Hey, wow!! You have good eyes!! Yes, there was a bit of what appeared to be braided line on there. The hook was kinda swallowed a bit and hooked in the roof of his mouth. He was not a small fish, so I bet that the line got nicked on his lips. Catfish lips are nasty, you know that!! I think braid is suceptible to being nicked and I know a few guys that have lost fish on 50+ lb braid that no way could have just been broken off. Braid can be abraded much more easily than mono. I use 50 lb. mono for all my leaders, you can see that on my hook in that one picture.

suddawg, yeah, that's me, guilty. One in the same!

7. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    good story and pics, thx for the post

8. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Yeah good going Steve.That is a trip I know if I had a rusty treble hook stuck in me I'd be cryin like a baby.

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for the pics and story