Blue Cat Record Submitting

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jason454ci, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
  2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That is great news, it wont be long before someone takes a shot at it.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Going through all of that the fish would die in the proccess, after all...Waiting on that biologist would mean killing it anyway!!!!

It states clearly that, you have to submit an application and wait for a response (which could take days). Then you have to wait for the Biologist to show up.

With Blues of that size being rare in those sections of the Ohio River, I don't think I would want to kill it for that.JMHO

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah I agree with that too JW

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree, who knows how long it could take for a biologist to show up and check your fish out. By that time it would probably be dead.:crazy:

7. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    THATS SAD :sad2: BUT THATS VERY TRUE :angry: I WOULD TEND TO AGREE :confused2:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    A few years ago I contacted the Ohio outdoors writers website and asked if I caught a state record flathead would I have to kill it for it to count, like it states in their rules. The response I recieved back was that NO, I don't have to freeze a speciman and turn it over to them. All I need is a wildlife officer from the DNR to sign a statement attesting to the species, lots of photos, and a certified weigh slip, and a witness or two ( which probably wouldn't be too hard to find lol.
    With that said, we should contact them again to make sure they are still agreeable to those terms for Blues.
    One other note that I have been confronted with is the fact that Ohio doesn't own any of the Ohio river, at least were it borders Kentucky, can we still rank a Blue or Flat from the Ohio River as an Ohio record? One of my friends on here (that I have the utmost respect for his opinion) has told me this is the case. He isn't right more than my wife is, but he usually knows what he's talking about. Has anyone else heard of this?

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Not that I agree with this, but the Outdoor Writers of Ohio, the group that is in charge of verification, wants the fish to be frozen.

This is a quote from Tom Cross of OWO via email with me:

Jeff, not to beleaguer the point, but keep this in mind. Any fish that is near state record size is very, very old and near the end of its expected life span. In all probability that fish will never be caught again, and is most assuredly well beyond the capacity to spawn or contribute to the gene pool.As far as keeping a fish frozen, that is done in case the fish needs to be re-examined for signs of snagging, gigging, perhaps a stomach content sample would be taken to certify the origin of the fish. (Don't laugh, a fellow tried to turn in a 12 pound Florida bass for a state record one time). That could possibly be waved if the fish, while still alive, could be thoroughly examined by an Ohio Division of Wildlife Fisheries Biologist, -notice I said a fisheries biologist, not a wildlife officer. If the biologist gave the fish a clean bill, we might possibly allow the fish to be turned loose.

Anyone wishing to contact him may do so at ww0705@dragonbbs.com

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That may or may not be the same guy I heard from lol. It sounds familiar though. He must have gotten this question many times, and gave different answers early and late. Maybe all of us Ohio guys could send the same E-Mail to him, so he can see we want to keep these big fish in the water no matter what. I can see freezing a big gill or crappie, or bass. None of them live as long as flatheads or blues. When I catch a 25 or 35 year old fish, it deserves to live, not end up as trash at the OOWA. If anyone is interested feel free to submit a sample E-Mail question here and we will pick the best one or combine the best questions to get the desired result. (NO DEAD FISH FOR A RECORD). I personally think we should be able to submit a record for the books and still allow the fish to live. If they refuse to allow that then I will never hold the state record. Cause I refuse to kill such a big fish just to get my name on paper. I will weigh it and take photos to share with all of you and be the UN-Official state record holder.

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Skip I emailed them awhile back asking about the Ohio river. Yes a fish caught in the main stem of the Ohio River where it borders Ohio can be submitted for an Ohio Record. The angler must posses a valid Ohio licenses at the time the fish was caught. I seem to have lost the email in cyberspace somewhere though.

Also in the regulations for submitting a blue it clears states that a blue from the main stem of the Ohio can be submitted.

*Fish will only be accepted from anglers with a valid Ohio fishing license caught from the main stem of the Ohio River within the state borders, any state of Ohio tributary, or from the shoreline of the Ohio side, or any Ohio public lake. Fish from "pay lakes" are not eligible. Fish caught from a Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia shoreline or tributary will not be accepted. A copy of the fishing license must accompany the application.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like your dnr is helping the catfish in your state. i just wish our idiot green jeans would wake up in indiana!!!!!!!! good luck with your blues all.

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Actually most of the credit would have to go to the state of West Virginia for their great efforts of stocking blue cats into the Ohio River. Hopefully now our state will follow WV's cue and start a stocking program. But you won't catch me holding my breath waiting for that day. I am sure if they try it on inland bodies of water it will be met with great resistance from the bass and crappie guys. You know we would hate to see the blue cats eat all the sportfish. If anything I think it would keep the shad numbers in check.

14. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I dont know about your bait shops in your area but here i have do two things for my fellow fishermans I have got ahold of the local dnr that is assinged to my area and he has gave me all of his contact #s so that i can usaly get ahold of him if any one needs to weigh in a fish ....i have also got a 150 gallon tank that i set up to put the fish in until we get it weighed and checked by the dnr here in georgia. now once i check it s weight and are sur that its right then i give them a call and he will normally gets here that day or the following day. i tell them that we are trying to keep it alive so it can be put back that will help to speed the process up. so far we have two lake records that has benn put in the books at my shop.....waiting on more:big_smile:

the 150 gallon we have been able to keep a 35 lb flathead a live 4 days and return to the river

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats great, anyone else see that story on that world record blue caught? It seemed like the DNR, and all the other parties showed up really quickly...I don't know if they are more prone to that kind of thing on the Mississippi or not? But it sure seemed like all the neccesary people were there in a hurry to help that guy out...Just seemed interesting to me. Even though that fish died, it was still an impressive reponse time, unless it took longer and TV didnt show that, should have done what they had to do, and got that fish back in the water and not to a museum.:angry:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

thanks for enlightening me to that fact jason. i still think your dnr is way ahead of ours on the catfish seen though. the flathead regs is what caught my intention, we need a regulation like that here.

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The flathead regulations have only been in place for a year now. Not sure if it is doing any good yet. Only time will tell on that one. But it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully Indiana's officials will take notice and consider some kind of regulations also. It would be great to see more states step up and try to do something for the catfish population.

18. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Skip !! Your the man! I feel the same as you . Everyone else who loves to fish for these bruisers should feel the same way too!

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The DNR's of the various states here in the north are slowly catching onto the popularity of catfish. I have been reading for years how some southern and mid western states have been enacting laws to protect their cats. Let's hope they will do more in the future.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jason i know they haven't been in place to long. But, until they start going on the water in enforcing the laws better i really don't think think the laws are gonna do much... i saw many fish this year on the river that liners brought back in the next morning that were way over the slot limit and numbers... some of these guys don't respect the laws simply because they have never had to and won't until someone makes them...rollo