Blue cat question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Jan 10, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright Ive got a question for all you professional bluecat fisherman out there:wink:. I have always heard that the best time to target the big blues is in the winter and I don't doubt that for a minute cause most of the really big blues ive seen on hear people are wearing winter clothing and there are no leaves on the trees but here is my question. This summer when we had hardly no rain what so ever in my area I was catching lots of big blues in deep water. 50 feet or more. one specific night me and a buddy caught over 30 fish and if wouldnt have ran out of bait i know could have broke the 50 fish mark. many trips to that same spot produced many big fish for us. my question is, Why arent these fish in these same deep holes or atleast around them. I have taken my time and looked all around these holes up river 1/4 mile and 1/4 mile down river from the hole and these fish are nowhere to be found. All the videos i have watched and every book i have read saids that these fish will go to the deeper holes evan though they love the cold water. The area that i fish I know the depths for miles and I know of the two deepest spots for miles and they are not there at all. They have completely vacated these holes and Ive not been able to find them. I know when were catching them in summer time we had little to no current but we had very low current in the beginning of winter also so That kind of told me that wasnt the reason they were gone. Here are a few pics of the fish we caught the night we caught 30 fish.

Attached Files:

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Nice fish,congrats on the success

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Robin,
    As blues feed all winter long I would suggest that if they are not there it's because there is no food close by. As you obviously know they are eating machines, they have probably gone to a wintering hole that has a better food supply.
    I could give you a much better answer if you were to give me the GPS coordinates for the hole in question so I can check it first hand:wink:
    ...W

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well kind of like previous poster's said, a wintering hole doesn't neccesarily mean the deepest hole. We have had may occasions this winter where we nail them at 50 to 60 ft and then they dissapear for weeks. I think they just follow the bait fish, and if I were a blue..:eek:oooh:, I would think ok, now where can I go that has some current break so I can rest a little, and that has a plentiful menu for dinner?. Usually when we find the blues its because the food is there..

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Robin, what tbull just said...i know nothing about blues, but am fairly knowledgable on the flatheads and some wintering holes with them.. not all holes are wintering holes. they have to have the right characteristics... for example.. i know of the deepest badest hole in a 25 mile stretch..its not a good wintering hole.. there are a few fish there all winter, but it isn't worth my time targeting it. the reason it isn't as good as the others is because too much current blows through it, with limited current breaks, or obstructions on the bottom to break the current. it is a typical sand and gravel bottom... some of the others i fish have rock bottoms, old sunken objects that have been pushed in years ago:wink: ( won't detail much more on that one, due to other locals) and another one isn't deep at all maybe 15 ft. but it is adjacent from the fast current the river channel brings, with a fair amount of bottom structure.. know with this said....this is for flatheads, and probably wouldn't associate blues to any of this, besides the charcteritic aspect... sit down and consider each area you fish, and the different times of the year you catch them there.. think about what they are drawn too...maybe it is a defined channel edge? structure? there is always a reason why...you just sometimes have to look a little deeper in thought to find the answers why ....goodluck....rollo

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Question for rollo and tbull. Where do I get an application. Honey do list would be fine with me. :wink: As for Travis, his jobs gotta be gravy cause I know he is at work when he is replying to all my questions.lololol. Oh well guess ill just have to rough it.:big_smile: you guys know im kiddin!

Thanks for all the good replies so far, I have such a big wide slow turning river I can't think of any of those sposts right off the top of my head but i know there out there. Guess ill just have to put 70 dollars worth of gass in the boat and cruise around and find those spots. do have lots of loaded barges though. do you think those would work if shad are nearby?

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Fish are not always going to hold up in the same area, as they won't always hit on the same bait. But if you can locate some blues there will definately be more as they like to school up.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Robin;
    The posts of the above Brothers are steering you in the right direction. :big_smile: If you think about it, most animals, land or water, move for basically two or three reasons.
    1. To Eat
    2. To Reproduce
    3. Shelter from an energy robbing environment.
    You could argue a few other things I suppose, but these are the main drives with Food First and the other two dependent on the time of year, water temperature, ect.
    Catfish, especially the larger ones like your showing in your photos, are basically LAZY. They don't want to have to swim 25 miles each day to find something to eat. In addition, they don't want to be wasting valuable energy all the time swimming to "stay in place". They know that means lost energy which translates to smaller size, ect.
    Now me, I bought a couple of books so I could have reference work to fall back on when things started going wrong. You on the other hand, have thought to ask the question on the BOC Board!:big_smile: See, your ahead of me already!:wink:
    But take what is already posted and build on it from there until you get a few most posts from others that are much more knowledgeable than I am.
    Also, go look in the BOC Library and Archives too. There is a wealth of information to be found there and I am almost positive that some of it will refer to fishing in your general area too! :big_smile:
    Just remember: Food, Shelter, and Reproduction.
    That is what most animals primary instincts are about.
    I hope this helps you out some. In all honesty, I personally think your doing pretty well judging from the few photos you have posts! I'd say start back with the basics and build from there.
    There IS one other "secret" that I will share with you that works for me. Get a notebook and keep notes! Date, Time, Weather conditions, is the Sun up?, the wind blowing?, what direction?, how strong? ect, ect. put anything and everything in your notebook that you think will help you to eventually catch more or larger fish. Over the period of a year you will have a database that will start working for YOU. But don't just stop after a year. Keep it going every time you are out fishing. If you need more than one notebook because you fish different areas then get more notebooks.
    Something to consider is writing paper and pens from a company called "Right in the Rain". Yes the paper is a bit pricey and the pens are too but you can get paper that is hard to tear and you can write without smearing under water on this paper with the pens this company supplies too! That should take care of your Wet Paper, Water Spray, problems and all. Go to their website, it's www.RiteintheRain.com
    It's the J.L. Darling Corporation out in Tacoma, WA 98424-1017
    and their phone number is 253.922.5000. They usually send a free catalog for the asking. :big_smile:
    I ALWAYS use their products for ALL of my outdoor needs! And believe me, for what the products were designed for, they preform as advertised! I've tested it for myself just to see what would happen!
    You can make peoples eyes open up wide when you poor a glass of water on this paper on a table and then sign your name or start writing through the water and it won't smear or fade away! Like I said, it costs more than regular paper but once you use it, especially under conditions that would FAIL other paper and pens, you will be hooked on the products too.
    Well, thats all I can tell ya for now. Hope it all helps.
    Finally, WELCOME to the BOC. You have made a life changing decision that will have more positive things happen in your life than you can realize at this point! Just remember, we are all here to share information about getting hooked onto the "Whiskered Giants of the Deep" :big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good thread, I fish mostly lakes and will be reading replies. Trying to learn more about river fishing. I agree with the above posts about the bait. When you locate where the bait went you will locate the blues, thats the way it is for lake fishing and the river should be the same. Looking forward to reading more replies.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Although my fishing for a number of years has been in North Florida, it has been for Blues and Channels. (No Flatheads there). In the winter months, fishing the St Johns River (almost a mile wide where I fished) the water temps were between 45 and 55 degrees. I found that the Blues and Channels both moved up onto the flats. This would be water from 4 to 8 feet deep. There would always be deep water nearby from 20 to 50 feet deep. The only thing that I found was that the Blues were somewhat smaller than I would catch in the summer months. WInter brought fish 12 to 20 pounds, but in summer up to around 30 pounds and more.

This fishing was all done during the daylight hours and usually used shrimp or night crawlers or if I caught a Croaker would use that. I always fished tightline and anchored. I would position my boat on the upstream end of the flat where I could cast to within 10 feet of the drop-off and slowly work the bait back toward me .... 3 or 4 cranks on the reel handle every 2 or 3 minutes. This most always produced cats.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well catcrazed, i have it all figured out....i will buddy up to you so you can guide me out for my first ohio river blue this summer:wink: rollo

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Catcrazed there sure is alot of river, but to sum it all up, find the bait and you will most of the time fnd the blues. And as far as the barges, oddly enough most of my winter and summer spots are next to tied off barges, or cylinders. Tend to find alot of deeper holes in those areas with plenty of structure to break the current a bit......Rollo come on nowyou know you aren't coming down here...:smile2:Just kiddin bud if you do look me up it would be cool to get to fish with ya.:wink:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    definetely tbull... skip is wanting to make a trip down there soon...maybe we can meet up with you guys, one of you could take skip, the other take me.. have a friendly tournament on the river...rollo

14. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    follow your forage you'll find your fish!
    lee

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That would be neat, I dont have a boat, but I am sure prostreet would make room for one of ya!:wink: