Blue Cat Nesting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by opposum, May 23, 2008.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not too sure about this. Just thought I'd see what the more experienced fishermen think. I've been fishing quite a bit in the past two weeks on Lake Ozarks. I went from catching 25-30 in a day to only 10-12. With the water temp at 65-66 on May 23rd. Are the blue cat going to nest already? What does everyone think? If they are on the nest when should they come off? When they are on the nest is the fishing better late at night? I would think that they will feed sometime.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Could be water temp sounds right. The males are the ones that guard the nest so the females should come in lay and go. The males I think guard the nest for 10 days or so. The thing is they don't all spawn at the same time so there is fish around. June is pretty much the most worthless month for fishing.

3. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Blues spawn in May to the beginning of June depending on the water temp they will go in the lake before the river. Spawning fish are tuff to catch because they don't chase bait while on the nest unless you drop it right by them. Spawning fish don't feed alot they usaly feed up pre-spawn. After they are done spawning they are stressed out for awhile and won't eat that's why you kinda have a decrease in bites and catches. Once that dead spot is over they will feed up again to make up for the spawn period.Not saying that you can't catch any fish at all it will just seem really tuff. Good luck hope this helps you some.:smile2:

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I might as well catch up on some of the duties around the house for the next couple of weeks so I can hit it hard when they are done. Or maybe I could try crappie fishing for a while.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This makes me wonder? I kept some fish I caught at the gathering and none of them had eggs in them. They were smaller fish but big enuff to egg-up, i don't understand if they are early, or late?

6. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Last wednesday the wife and I were below the dam and fished all day long. We caught alot of fish but nothing with really any size ( most 4 lb. average ) . We used heads, sides and everything in between and just couldnt get anything bigger to take bait. All that day I kept wondering if something had changed and I kept looking at the water temp on my depth finder ( think it read about 64 or 65 degrees ) . On the way home we pretty well decided it would be our last trip for awhile but then talked to an old timer at a wedding saturday and he fishes below the dam all the time and says he catches good ones even during the spawn. Who really knows ?? I may be up again this wednesday especially if the wife twists my arm to go . :big_smile:

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If it's June (or nearly so) and BOC members aren't catching fish, it's always because of "the spawn."

But never fear, for there's a simple 2-step cure:
    1. Wait a couple of weeks.
    2. If you still find the fish, repeat step 1 until you do.

Or at least, that's the typical path every thread on the topic takes.

Maybe they're spawning now, maybe not. I don't know and I doubt anyone else on the BOC does either. Scientists say they spawn when the water is in the upper 70's to near 80. Scientists don't know for sure either, and I'd bet there's a huge variation year to year and from one body of water to the next.

In any case, there are *always* fish that can be caught - they don't all spawn simultaneously, we know that fur sure. But if you keep using the same tactics you used before the spawn, you probably won't catch many. You might not catch many in even if you try a new spot or some new tactic, but you won't know for sure until you do.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

When you catch fish with eggs in them, thats a pretty good clue they are probably close to spawning. And I didnt even study to be a scientist. :wink:

9. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    If your catching fish without eggs they are probably males.Sometimes fish won't wait for the water to get that warm they will spawn anyway. I seen Bass spawn in 55-60 water before and they say 68-70 is prime so who can tell.:big_smile:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Every time I get skunked the fish are spawning, even if it is December!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Maybe that is the problem. Everytime I go fishing I dont catch tomuch or any big ones:smile2:. They are on the nest:angry::smile2:.