blue cat flathead rivals or freinds

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 21, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im noticing a differance in the type of people that fish for flatheads and blues, flathead guys seem ruffer more backwoods long hairy typs, were blues man are more cleancut, welther looking, just kinda seems that way, but i like them both, now to move on, what realy happens wen a blue enters flathead teritory, i hear they will fight them off liked mad and the blue just swims away,,but blues are bigger, and have a stronger bite, any info or obsevation on those two subjects

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    iheadsd love to get some facts on this from a biolagest, i know its a little stupid to ponder on this, but id like to know what cat is the more domanent agresiv in the water, the dnr says a flat gets very mean in the wateter, but, blues for a fact have a harder bite, just want to settle this through scietific evidence, i love catfish, also i dont beleiv blues get bigger than flats, theres just more of them therefore blues do get bigger, the record flat is 123, the record blue is 124, now i need some science

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I think your gong to get mixed results. On one lake I fish, in the falltime I catch alot of flats but no blues in theis area. On another lake I have caught some big blues right catching some flats. I think once a blue reaches a certain size, the flats propley leave them alone.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I cant add anything that is of much help but I can add that I've caught big flats and blues out of the same hole together.

One night we caught 150# of cats off the same spot, both blues and flats in the 10# to 30# range.

Both fish will fight and wont back down during spawn. I would say blues are more of a traveling fish compared to a flathead thus Flats hold to certain areas and guard those areas more. A blue wouldn't prolly care and just leave. He isn't as interested in fighting over a spot. So I don't believe flats are meaner , they are just more territorial by nature thus attack whoever is there...but that's just a guess...no facts at all to back my opinion.

Now if you had two fighting fish the same size in the ring , that blue has way more biting power and my $$ would be on him.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that was my theory jim ,i dont think a blue could kill a flat, or vice versa , but i think blues are spooked by flats if aproched and swim off to eat, but unil i get the scentific studies on the big three, i cant say for shure, u need that science

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybody got any more evidence on what the more domanit cat is, and how they coe exist, ive serched the web, i cant find anything, scietific, its a dumb topic for some but wouldent some of you diehards like to see a 50 pound blue fight a 50 pound flat, and see who wins, dont know why, but wen i get a qwestion in my mind i got to get the awnsers, lol

7. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I agree with the others, I've caught flats,blue,& channels out of the same fishin hole. Seems like they think bout food first territory second. As for the different looks of catfishermen....... If it has whiskers I'm gonna target it.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea im still looking up there agrresion, srtengh, and tuffnes, cant find nothing on line, i do know blues bite harder, thats it,