Blue cat fillet question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Jul 19, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have just fillet'd out some blue cats, which actually is the first I have done before since I have never kept them in the past, anyway I noticed the meat texture was a little different, it was kinda coarse feeling say compared to a bass or bluegill. Is this normal? I am sure everything is ok but i was sorta wonderin if this was from the spawn or they are always like that.

BIll

2. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    i dont keep many fish, but the ones we have filleted have had a rough texture as well. Its wasn't real smooth like salmon might be or anything, but taste great! I think your fillets are fine.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Larger blues have a coarseness I don't care for, although they taste okay. For the table, I prefer fish in the 1-3 pound range.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, that's normal. Some have a lot of red meat close to the skin also. Just cut it off.

-Jim-

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds fine to me too, and I agree with Jim. When I fillet blue cats, I always cut the red muscle meat off too, it gives them a really strong taste if you don't.

6. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All cats are a little courser than say pan fish,bass etc. That said, fillet them and cut out any red meat as its strong and vile tasting. Do not for get to keep and clean the belly meat on any cat above, say ten pounds.
    Don't worry about the silver skin, you won't taste it. I use very fine bread crumbs mixed with a little corn flour and fry, deepfryor oven bake all my cats. Yep the bigguns are good to eat, yep I turn a lot of bigguns back, but I eat all that I need or want.

7. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    NO WAIT, Don`t eat them send them to me for inspection. Seriously though cut out the red, any grey/silver hide left on after skinning (if you skin) also look for yellow looking fat around the back. It tends to have a strong taste too. Enjoy.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    thanks for the info guys, just never had fillet'd out a blue cat before. I am getting ready to cut it up for frying, it has been soaking in heavy salt water for 24 hrs.

thanks
    Bill

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am a little jealous there, Sure could eat some catfish right about now.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you're right on track,Getting the red meat out and a soak in saltwater,Gonna be some great eatin,Bill.

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well cut out the red meat, fried em up and unfortunately I must have over salted the water I soaked em in, cause they tasted like country ham! Ever have salted pork....well I had salted catfish...next time I will use much less salt or some other liquid to soak em in!:sad2: Dang it I was looking forward to some good catfish.

Appreciate the replies and info, now I know what to look for.

Bill

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ah, darn...Ive done that also.

I like to use a square flat bottom Tupperware bowls. Put down one layer of fillets then fill with water just over that first layer. This is when I salt it, just act like you were salting your steak, maybe a tiny more.

Now I just repeat the process with another layer of fish. Now, myself, I like to add ice into the water. I like it a little colder than the fridge's temp. I soak mine over night, then come morning I rinse them good and soak them in ice water again before cooking them that evening. I've been doing this method for years now and I'm very happy with the results.

I hope your next batch turns out well...good luck.

-Jim-

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't soak fish...just rinse/clean well and put in a zip-loc bag with a couple of paper towels. I change the towels 'till they have soaked up all of the moisture on the filets.

My Keeper says dry fish cook much better than moist ones.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Use a couple of ounces of lemon juice or vinegar in your water. Gets rid of any muddy taste that might be there and you don't have to worry about it ruining your fillets. No need for the salt. Good luck!

Branden

15. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just clean the fillets by hand by gently rubbing and sqeazing them in my hand while running water over them. This cleans them very well and gets the blood out of them. If I want to eat them in the next day or two I just put them in a bowl and fill the bowl with enough water to cover the fillets. I have never seen any advantage to putting salt in the water.

If I want to save them for a later date I put them in a plastic container (I use the 1 gallon plastic ice cream containers) and fill it up with water then put the lid on the container and place it in the freezer. This way your fish do not get freezer burn and will taste as fresh as the day you caught them when thawed.

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I agree with that, but we do soak 'em like JimmyJonny mentioned.....sans the salt. To me, most prepared fish fry coatings (I love House-Autry) have plenty of salt in them already. As far as muddy taste goes, don't have a problem with it here. If the fish are filleted correctly they shouldn't have one.

After they soak, I like to blot them with paper towels and let 'em sit out for about 30-45 minutes I guess.....until they are mostly dry feeling to the touch, and kinda tacky; then coat and fry.

17. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

That dirty muddy water taste comes from the water they are caught from, good catfish should not have this flavor. I let my catfish set in a salt water bath but the water should only be a little salty, if you taste the water you should only barely be able to taste the salt, too much salt can make blue cat meat mushy, and as you guys know blue cats don't need any help getting mushy. I don't even know if salt does anything to catfish, but that's the way I was taught to do it. I've let them soak in ice water baths, salted and unsalted, I can't tell much difference, but you do need to rinse the salted water off before you cook the fish. I've learned this about blue cat meat, it needs to stay as cold as possible (ice cold is best) right up until you put it into the deep fryer. This will keep the meat as firm as possible once it's cooked. Flatheads, and channel cats don't seem to be effected as much as blue cats. Properly prepared blue cats can run a close second to a Flathead. Really good pieces of catfish only need four things for cooking; salt, pepper, yellow cornmeal, and oil for frying. No prepared batters, no fancy seasonings. These are just my opinions they definetly aren't laws to catfish preparing and cooking. It's just what works for me.
    :smile2:

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blue Cats have course meat, the larger ones anyway. That is why I only keep them in the 5 to 25 lb range, over 25 the meat is course and to me tough.

I spend a lot of time on cleaning my catfish, the reason people dont like catfish is they dont clean them properly.

First you need to get the red meat off, and there is a line down the center that is dark brown in color, that needs to come out also. Belly meat is good, however it takes some preperation. if you take and skin both sides of the belly meat it is tender and does not have a mud taste. So dont throw away the belly meat like most people do.

19. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

You are 100% right about the cleaning. I clean the belly meat the same way as you stated, but even then the belly meat of big 'ol blues can be tough and stringy at times, but it still tastes good. Bigger catfish are just like anything else, certain parts of the fish have better cuts of meat than other parts.

20. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i think most people refer to the red line as a blood line and yes plz cut that out or you will prob. not like the taste of it.