Blue back herring on Lake Hartwell

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by droptine77, May 30, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for catching blue back herring on Hartwell. I've been able to catch some smaller shad but was wondering if there was a better place to get herring. I would love to get some hickory shad. Have any of you used the hickory for blues or flatheads?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Settin lights out at night will bring them in and you can catch them on Sabika rigs or use the thrownet.Theres a little bit of a trick to throwin the net, its a little easier with two people.One turns the light out as soon as the other throws the net then turns the light back on which is supposed to bring them back up causeing them to swim into the net.Somethin along them lines anyway.Sounds easy enough dont it? The sabika rigs are alot more fun though.The Hartwell experts is gone have to help you on the hickory shad.

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks Chris. I've had a cast net for awhile and gotten descent at throwing it. I guess like everyone else it's time to find ways to save money for gas and if I could get better at catching my on bait that would help with the paddeling!!!

4. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Putting out a sodium light just about anywhere on the lake will bring in bluebacks seems to be harder around the full moon. I would say that anywhere near portman on towards the dam would be a good place. Do you have a sodium light and have you ever caught Bluebacks under a light anywhere before?. As was posted sabiki rigs are fun and sometimes you will catch hickory shad on them also under the lights. As far as fishng them for cats never have tried although I have caught a few nice stripes on them.

5. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I can get a High Pressure sodium flood around 150 watts. With an inverter how long before it would kill a deep cycle battery. A generator is out of the question unless they are giving them away.:lol:

6. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not real sure about the inverter dont think it would last long if it would even start the light up I think the take alot of power to start up then consume less power once they are at full blast.
    here are a few links to some generators that are low priced. I know nothing about them or their quality, but I can tell you this if you pay 5,6,or 7 dollars a dozen for BB herring how long would a 150 dollar generator take to pay for itself? I have a honda EU1000 and I love it I think I paid like 650 dollars for it but I striper fish under it at night sometimes so it was worth it to me.
    Check out the link to northerntool they have one for 129.00 !!!http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94678
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313480_200313480

hope that helps ya!!

7. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Never knew a generator was that cheap. Your right with the herring I have already bought this year I could have bought one already. Thanks!

8. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have a green fishing light I bought off of ebay. I put that light in the water and in about an hour or so the hickory shad will be all over it. You can drop a sabiki rig in the water and let it sit, they will eventually bite it. I have also caught crappie and striper on the rig, it is pretty fun. They work great as a flathead bait, even better for big striper.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I have heard to yank a triple hook up though the school at the light has anyone tried this and does it work? thanks for the link for the generator.

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Yes, yanking a leader with about 4 treble hooks tied on it works. I personally like using a sabiki rig.

11. stinkbait1

stinkbait1 New Member

State:
    south caolina

where do you get a sabiki rig.i never saw one..

12. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lake Hartwell Fishing and Marine in anderson SC or The fishing Hole in seneca sometimes wal mart has had them in the past.

13. stinkbait1

stinkbait1 New Member

State:
    south caolina
    thanks ill check at the fishing hole this week end. do they come in different sizes and if so what size is best for herring.

14. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes they do come in different sizes. I think the small sizes are the best for herring. You can also make a gold hook rig just like the sabiki setup with # 10 gold hooks and sometimes it will catch more bait than the sabiki rigs!!

15. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    Just bought a Sabiki Rig @ the Fishing Hole in Seneca. They are located just in front of the cash register across the isle, down next to the floor. (hard to see) There are two sizes. I got the smaller one as it looked small enough for Herring. Haven't used it yet, but wanting to try this weekend. Good Luck.....Let us know how you do with the bait:wink:

16. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use the gold hook rig like mentioned above. It was deadly this past weekend as the fish weren't biting and it was raining, I caught enough cutbait for the entire summer I believe.

17. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    CLEON - Congrats on the bait run you got into. lol. Are you willing to pass along any "areas" that I may look for herring in? I've tried the swirl hole there next to hwy. 93 and also the "pump house" below cherry's crossing on the right. Don't want your honey hole, but would appreciate a couple alternate areas to try. I'm still learning. Thanks:wink:

18. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry, Bass Tracker. I was using sodium lights under the Martin's Creek bridge at night. The swirl hole is about the only place I know of during the day to catch em at although I've never had any luck there. It would be nice to find a consistent area to save us 6 dollars on a dozen though. Lately, I've been heading up a few hours before daylight and pulling them in with lights.

19. stevetrammell

stevetrammell New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where can herring be located on lake hartwell? it is august 26th.

20. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    deep deep its hard to get them up now even with a sodium light.