Blown fuse

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by crazy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ok I have a 2006 F115 yamaha and it blew it's 2nd fuse now. The first time I was in rough water. So ok I can buy that maybe that had something to do with it then. Now monday night I was in flat calm water catching bait and it blew a fuse in idle. The fuse that it keeps blowing is the trim/ignition fuse. It's a 20 amp atm. I'm at a lost on what might keep blowing this thing. I own a box of these little buggers and am about ready to go buy another one if this keeps happening. The other 3 fuses don't blow just this one.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    josh check out all your ground wires and clean and tighten and make sure the wires around the trim solenoids arent shorting,sorry I cant give you anymore ideas than that

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

also check the relays, there should be one for up and one for down, if either of these got wet when u were in the rough water there could be a short in the connector. it happened to me too, kinda, i kept having a problem where the motor would not trim up. i pulled the relays and there was a line of grease with water still on it shorting out the relay... if you have a short in the relay it could blow the fuse... all it takes is a bit of cleaning and put some marine electronics grease around the bottom of the relay (where the relay meets the connector and there is a slight gap) and in the bottom of the connector, but don't grease the connections themselves and keep grease off the bottom. the grease will seal the relays and the connectors and keep them dry and will resist corrosion.

the grease will also work on the back side of the fuse box, and anywhere there are exposed electrical connections... just look at old cars and trucks, the whole back of the fuse block was kept full of grease to prevent water from getting to the electrical connections, and it works... but for on a boat you need marine grade electrical grease, if a nearby marina doesn't have it here is a link to get some online. http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176640498.htm

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    On an engine that new I would just bring it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Normally when you keep blowing fuses there is something wrong that could take you a long time to find. I have an 05 75hp 4 stroke and it has over 250hrs on it and has never blown a fuse. Let them figure it out. I know it can be a pain taking the whole boat to the dealer and leave it there for days but if its an EFI they will just plug into the computer and do a diagnostic check, much faster then getting a multimeter out and shooting wires.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree with the recommendation to take it back to the dealer - it's a brand new motor and they must have installed something incorrectly, so fixing it should be their problem. Though based on what I've been hearing about that particular dealer, I don't have a lot of confidence that it'll get fixed properly...:roll_eyes:

I'm betting there's an unused wire at the end of the wiring harness that's not properly terminated and is rubbing up against ground every once in a while, shorting out the circuit.

Blown fuses are not normal; if it keeps up, you're likely to damage more than just a $.10 fuse.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Engine diagnostic plug ins do not check for shorts in wiring. High amp draw or shorted wires are the usual culprits, and at times shorted ignition switches will cause it.

Wiring diagnostics is a long drawn out process on some issues, but that one should be fairly easy with the right guy looking at it. Take it in.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would aquire a wiring diagram of the circuit. examine all of the circuits that the fuse feeds. start wiggling and flexing the wiring. if you're lucky, you'll see a little spark or something as the fuse blows again or identify a rub through in the harness. look at pass throughs, bends, exposed portions, (switches, relays, etc) wiring problems are'nt easy to figure out. but, it helps a great deal when you understand the circuit. good luck to ya...

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    buy a new boat!!!! LOL

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Bob's right. No new age electronic diagnostic device is going to find a short or high amp draw. It's one of the two, either wiring, connections or faulty components, but since you weren't trimming it up or down when it blew, then i would suspect a bad connection since the boat is fairly new and a wiring issue is possible, but more than likely, it will be a corroded conector, relay or something loose. That's my bet anyway!

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah, I dunno. you would think that it would just blow the fuse all the time. Not just after a 5 min run. change the fuse and then it run for hours and hours with no problem. Never blew last night though.

11. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I would be tempted to install a automatic reset circuit breaker in place of the fuse.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Should not have too? 2006 motor not suppose to blow in my book. Damn computers is what I say.