BLOWGUN 101

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Feb 29, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ANYONE TINKER AROUND WITH A BLOWGUN ?????

I GOT INTO IT REAL SERIOUSLY AND GOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET BLUGILLS IN

3FT WATER

JUST CURIOUS GUYS !!!!

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i used to kill rabbits with one when i was 14-15. i could hit a quarter from across the room. there fun. we got in trouble when we were kids. shooting playdoh balls at cars,lol.

i got my son one two years ago and played with it a lot. im still pretty darn good. still think i could drop a rabbit.:big_smile:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don't tinker around with no blowgun,No Jivaro or no Gypsy Tinker.All are very good ways to have a bad accident and wake up dead.

How in the world did you manage to do it?A fish three feet deep is hard to gig when throwing a heavy gig.Your dart is traveling 4-5 feet in the water hitting them from the side.Ain't a very wide target shooting a gill from the top the way they swim.To get a dart that deep with any force by human lungs is quite a feat.Also they can still swim off with a dart in them.

About 45 years ago I met some guys waayyy down south who had done it all of their life every day hunting small animals and birds.Even they used a special formula on the darts tip to help out.They did not fish with them but used gigs and spears for fish along with poisoning the water.

I hope you are not thinking of getting into headhunting.I do know exactly how to shrink one but what I just said is as far as I am going on that subject.I hope you are not walking on troubled ground.I remember a kid who got sent off for evaluation when he was caught trying to shrink a road killed Coons head.Now he was already high on the list of suspects for shooting a dart into the beau-tocts of the school principle.The bad part was that I know that he was innocent of shooting the principle.

I think that this could be very interesting.I am eagerly awaiting the details.

And Yep.I got a Blow Gun somewhere,or I did years ago if the wife ain't deep sixed it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wo peewee, i had one when i was a kid and i never shrank no heads,lol. one i got my son is a terminator. comes with wire cone darts, plastic safety darts, round metal tip stun darts, paintballs.

one to many beer night for some an idot grabbed it and shot a fella through the fingernail. all the way through. i had to put it up that eve.:crazy:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

al of my blowgun stuff was made to my likEing

i didnt use the ones u get from the store ( i had over 100 bucks put into darts and other things with those) once i shot a pigeon with a homemade 1 i tinkered with.. i would never go back, TO THOSE

all of this ( what i know ) came from here
    http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

AND YES IT DOES SOUND FUNNY SAYING I HIT BLUEGILL IN 3-4FT WATER, BUT I WAS USING RAZOR BROADHEADS CLOSE TO 2FT LONG
    ( U NEED REAL STRONG LUNGS TOO):eek:oooh:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey was that me standing there with that rabbit,lol.:smile2:

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Unique.I did not even know that they made a 2 foot long broad head.The last one I saw was on Aretha Franklin if I remember right and they called it a "Afro" I think.I would think a flat piece of metal 2 feet long would fly straight and be heavy enough to do some penetrating.

I once saw a picture of a man blowing up a hot water bottle till it burst.You could most likely do that.If you don't go to preaching with those lungs you are surly going to waste a rare and unusual resource.I bet that you could preach all day right by yourself.

This has all been very interesting to me.All I ever had was home made and cheap store bought target blow guns.The only thing that I really remember shooting at was targets and plinking where I could recover the projectiles.I was like those little fellows down south.I bought me a shotgun as soon as I could afford it.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    when we rabbit hunted with them we made long darts. not the broad head 2' long. but a 2' dart tipped with a head. we made our rabbit darts 12"-15" long to fully penatrate the body.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    The writer of the article stated that the speed was clocked at 185 feet per second, Thats about half the speed of a cheap BB gun. Can't see where that would penetrate very deep in water. A .22 pistol won't penetrate a gill thats 3 foot deep.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    fish hooks and worms work well ! lol

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

there is a video that he shot a fish

( i was using arrows 2 ft long ) 1/8 in dowel

stamped out steal ( tempered ) and fine honed to be razor sharp

the piston was about 4 inches long so it didnt act like a break when it hit the water

i also had some ones made out of tubing ( 12 inches long ) and had the same heads on it ... i would use them to shoot the 2ft long carp at the channel here in LHC ( i and a friend would shoot the same 1 and fight them for a while) ( like bowfishing huge gar )

the carp were only 4-6 inches under the water

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I knew that too,but I was not going to say that I had been around anyone shooting fish.:wink:

Also,I did not know if it would be a good idea to even suggest such a thing after the trouble he had with the slingshot.:wink:

A swing with a old wire coat hanger was a well known manner of taking small fish in shallow water before welfare.It was called a "swish" and that was the sound it made.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bullets have much different charactoristics in water. ther much higher volocity causes them to deform and come apart. on mythbusters a .22 went farther in water than a 30-06. the 06 blew up within 2' causing no harm to balistics gel 3' deep.

a spring steel dart doesnt deform whem going through water and has extreme arodynamics. ill shoot mine into water and see how far the 6" darts go.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I made blow guns about 20 years ago from 3/4" pvc. The darts were made from subscription cards in magazines with 16d nails and would penetrate 1/2' plywood at 50 feet. We used to make Polish Cannons back then also. :wink:

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most likely you would disappear to "Gitmo" now and get your own water board issued to you.:wink:

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mythbusters proved repeatedly that most firearm projectiles cannot penetrate more than 18" of water, and that their effectiveness was seriously diminished within just a few inches, and that the higher the power, the less effective it is shooting into the water. They expend most of their energy when breaking the water surface tension. A .22 did a little better than some, but not much. The best at shooting into water was a .50 muzzle loader. It penetrated the water by 3 or 4 feet before completely expending it's energy. They were shooting at a piece of Plexiglas under the water in a swimming pool. Water creates a lot of drag on the bullet. Sometimes enough to fragment the projectile on impact. Also, the more perpendicular to the plane of the water, the greater the effects of drag. Less of an angle increases the chance of a ricochet.

I think the reason the blowgun would actually work is the same reason that a bow and arrow works. Less drag on the projectile, and extra kinetic energy from the length of the shaft. The shaft keeps pushing the projectile forwards until the energy in the end of the shaft has been expended.

Just my .02. Also, I shot a pigeon once right in the head. It flew off with a, orange ball attatched to it's face.:eek:oooh: Guess I used the wrong dart.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats the one i seen. thanks for the details. thats what i was getting at. why do ya think theres spear fishing. not much in the sport of firearms for fishing. same principle.

and i had those orange ball darts long ago with my first one. seems most evolved int the cone darts wich have more velocity. the bead darts i called them came on a string. orange plastic ball that had bubbles in them along the string. you pulled them off with and heated the wire over the stove and pushed into the bubbles. walla. a dart. the spring steel came in 12" lengths and we cut with clippers.we sharpened them with a grinder