Blow out

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by ka_c4_boom, Jul 1, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i had a good day i thought my son and i spent the day at markland dam on the ohio river drift fishin when we left the you know what hit the fan i was crossing the dam to get some ice to put on our fish for the trip home when it happened , i blew a tire on the trailer and before i could get stopped the rim grabbed the road snapped the leaf spring spun the axel out the back side of the trailer the axel was still attatched on one side but bent in the middle , there we set in the middle of the dam blocking traffic , thankfully a guy was kind enough to stop and follow me across the bridge , i drug the boat trailer atleast a half mile sparks flying luckily the boat wasnt hurt but the trailer is pretty much toast , i called my brother vern and he came up with a trailer and we winched my boat and what was left of my trailer up on and strapped it to the trailer he brought finally got home at 5am lol laughins better than crying atleast the boats intacked

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    sounds like murphy's law took effect on you. hate that happened, atleast the boat was ok and yall made it back home...yes, laughin is way better than cryin...chin up....itll b ok.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I hate to hear of your bad luck,but at least the boat is fine. crap happens.:eek:oooh:

4. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    :hell_boy:<----I kinda imagine you looked like this before your brother got there.
    Your "boat distress" call wasn't the only one received last night. Vern had 2 calls within about an hour. At least Ronnie was on the water and was able to be towed in. Poor Uncle Ra-Ra was on dry land. Kind of reminds me of the song "gloom dispare and agony on me...":cry::sad_2a:

so sorry about your luck, Chuck. I really hope it gets better.
    Sis

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'm glad you made it home in one piece.

The last time I saw someone lose a trailer, they were in the middle lane of a freeway bridge. That was not what I wanted to see when I was going around a blind curve. Fortunately, the smell of burning rubber prompted me to slow down before I got to the scene.

-- Rich

6. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    at least your all safe, and it didn't blow out on the hwy. Sorry to hear about that trailer though

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Charles
    Tough luck, main thing neither of you were hurt. Hope you had insurance or maybe your car insurance will cover part of the damage. Don’t let it get you down good things are not far away. Luck

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear about your trailer, thank god it was only the trailer.
    At least you caught some fish, so it wasn't all bad.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im haveing trouble finding an axle i can afford , thinking maybe of making one with a piece of steal rod and welding my spindles to it . has any one ever done this ? thats how there made any way right .

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    you could do that but good luck getting it balanced good enough that it won't eat your bearings.

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

Exactly!! Have you looked on NorthernTool's website? If your axle is a standard size you might be in luck. They stock a bunch of axles. Their address is www.northerntool.com Just type in axle in the search box.

Glad you were able to get it home though. It will be a lot easier to work on it at home than on the side of the road somewhere.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles sorry to hear of your bad luck. If you have access to a Rural King in your area, they have several different sizes of axles.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Had the same experience a few years back, when DH and I was on our way to the James River. Didnt get too far (Morgantown,WV), when we had a blowout on the trailer tire. At first we thought the boat was on fire from all the smoke. It took the rest of the evening and early into the morning to have a leaf spring made and put on the trailer, just to turn around and head home. lol

14. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I found some used parts ebay at one time that i purchased cheap. You might get lucky and find just what you need there.

15. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    get a pice of 1/4 inch sqare tube it would work the best i am a welder i build things all the time it will be strong its not too hard good luck

16. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    if you have a tractor suply company close you mite check there ive seen axels at the one close to me

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know where there is a couple trailers for sale cheap.....IF he still has em:confused2:

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your bad luck just solved one of my problems. I have two extra boat trailers setting in my yard occupying space. Was gonna sale them, but now I think I'll just hang on to them. Never can tell. Hope you get back on the road soon.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    From all the time I spend sittin' behind mini-vans, I've noticed they have straight rear axles. Could be that a front wheel drive in a salvage yard, might have a rear axle that would work. Just a thought.