Blow a worm?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea.... you heard it right ..... I found a "worm blower" in my car after Plumbertom1 was in my vehicle.... I have one too... but have not used it in some time... Tom said just keep it.... so its still laying there on my dashboard.... Actually... I talking about inserting a needle/air-bottle into a night crawler to inflate it with some air....Most folks that do it are trout fishermen....

I use "crawlers".. but its mostly used to get "gill" bait, and then the piece that I use is usually just pinched off ... like 1/3 of a worm and then placed on my #6 bait hook...

Some of you guys use crawlers for catting.... just wondered If any of you use "inflated worms"...... get em off the bottom a bit and maybe seen or "smelled" easier.....

Next time at Mendota.... I'm going to try an inflated worm... and some sonnys on my trebble hook setup from "catbobbers"... and their dip worm thing.....

Tight lines and "seasons greeting" my friends...

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I heard of inflateing them with a hypodermic needle for bass.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I have used my wife's diebetic needles. They work great and leave a smaller hole. Used em for trout too:wink: Interesting if they work at the slough. Never tried it:confused2:

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    The "mendota connection..... insert the needle and draw in some air.... and inject it into the worm.... have "stoned worms".... should work... and then the bait is "up and flying"....

Tight lines.... Bay Ray

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I've used them with good result's for channel's, Use to use the hypo needel's but if you get caught with them now it's a felony so now i use the store bought one's.

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the reply... bummer... needles are in most trash can?

here is a pic of the commercial one....

Like I mentioned.... mine was used at Big Bear Lake 30 yrs ago... but should do the trick for cats too.

7. full moon

full moon Guest

The air up the worm helps it float inches off the bottom. Throw a floating trout marshmellow dipped in garlic sauce on the shank end of the hook....oh my goodness...here comes fifi to check it out!

Anthony

8. czoom

czoom New Member

State:
    California
    Never tried it with catfish. Might work well. Used for trout before.

9. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    How are u buddy what u been up too

10. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    How r u feeling huh got to get well for our trip brother me and my bro hit sac in the morning

11. festus

festus New Member

I've never used a worm blower, but noticed they had them at Wallyworld tonight in the clearance section. I have, however, used the floating jigheads to float crawlers and redworms off the bottom.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I havn't used crawlers for cats in a long,long time. to many trash fish like bass and white bass go after them. But I used to fish a big ball of worms on a single hook and did real well on flatheads,about a dozen or so big fat nightcrawlers will tempt those flats pretty good,but I quit because of all the other fish like them too and will pick and peck your crawler ball apart to quick. Anyway I used to use those little foam beads to keep it floating.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For trout fishing a worm blower is a must. I have not done it with using nightcrawlers for catfishing because the key for the worm floating adequately off of the bottom is light line and a small hook. I generally use big hooks and heavy set line for my catfishing. However there has been some times while trout fishing I caught a few channels on the floating crawlers with 4 pound test line or so. Channels on light gear is rather fun. I even caught channels on powerbait while fishing for trout for example at Corona lake years ago. One oldie and goodie method using crawlers for me has been the dropper loop if you want to get into heavier line usage and having the bait off of the bottom. Also another old goodie trick is nightcrawler and marshmellow combos. That floats the crawlers also.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC..Chris.... Nice place to find out infor on many topics.... and fishing for cats is one of the main ones....

Where do you live in Ca?..... We have a few boys here... what do you fish for mostly?

tight lines...

Bayrunner Ray

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    So back to night crawlers.... how long can you keep em at home when you bring em back from your last trip?.. I have fed my two dozen ( minus a worm or two) some coffee grounds 2X's since my trip to James Road.... I think that trip was in August.... and then I did have them at the last gathering at the "Pipe"....

Darned if it dosent sound like near two months....:wink:

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have not tried keeping them alive for years when I was a child. I use to keep them in plant pots when I was a kid and use to do a lot of bluegill fishing back in those days. Back during that time if I can remember I would keep them alive for months grant it the soil was good for them as well as feed. Memories. :smile2:

17. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Ray I still have mine too. Them little suckers are growing into big suckers on coffee grounds and a little corn meal. My father in law used to raise them and he fed them lettice coffee grounds and some corn meal. he had them in a old chest freezer. He had them in some Peatmoss,Straw,Cow Manure that had been dried out some what after coming from the barn to dry in piles. I also saw him shread newspaper too mixing it in the to make compose for them. He had the biggest Red Worms around. I keep my Crawlers in my fridge in the garage at 40 Degrees.
    Ray just looked it up it was the 28-29 of August.
    Fish04
    Don

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Don.... My dads buddy was a carpenter.... In his yard here locally he had quite an array of animals in his yard....Both he and my dad were part of the LA racing pigeon club in the 30-40's so there was always some kind of poo around... we had rabbits, pigeons, but ole Mr. topping had quite a few chickens where the water tray was located there was always lots of worms...Sometimes I just throw the worm away, or give em to Gary "ToFish" to use at Yuma....

I have even let em go in the gutter that runs under the corner of the street at home and then go and retreive them later when needed.....

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have never heard of inflating worms in my entire life:smile2:

20. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Jeffrodamis.... :confused2:,,,,, you got to just google to answer questions....here is a link to inflating worms and it looks as thought it might be appied for catching cats.... maybe in Texas too....:big_smile:

check out the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNDR6Hsgp-4

looks like one of your "tanks" from your part of the Pecos

Gilmafam....