Bloody blue catfish meat?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bhunt, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Whats the best way to bleed out a blue cat before you clean them? The ones I have been cleaning have been kept a live until time to clean them. I have a small bat I use on there head to kill them but the meat is very bloody. I have heard of cuting ther tail off. Does that work? Thanks for any help.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best way I have found is to go ahead and clean them as you have been then put all the fillets in an ice chest and submerge in ice water for a couple of hours this will draw all the blood out. Then take them out and remove the middle section of the fillets and trim off the red. When you are done you will have a snow white piece of meat that really tastes great.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    dont kill the fish , heres what i do and it works great , up uder the gills cut the throat drop them head first in a five gallon bucket and let them sit till they bleed to death inhumane yes ,but its a fish . the heart will pump all the blood out . you may still have red next to the skin to trim . and you still need to remove the vein but for the most part their bloodless this way good luck

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've detailed this before in another thread, but here goes again:

* Use an ice pick or other long pointy object and jam it horizontally (toward the tail) between the eyes of the fish - on a blue cat, there's a ripple between the eyes; aim for the middle of that ripple. This essentially paralyzes the fish and keeps him from flopping around.

* Hang the fish up by the head - I drive nails through a 1x4 and impale the fish on the nails. Doesn't matter how you do it, but you want them hanging vertically with the tail down.

* Use a good knife (electric fillet knife works well) and cut the entire tail off, about 1/2" above where the fin meets the body. An incredible amount of blood will run out. Let it hang for a good 5 minutes or so.

* Fillet the fish - that's an entirely different subject, but use whatever method you like to get the meat off the bones and skin. Don't skin the fish. And don't worry about the belly meat - you aren't missing anything other than bad-tasting, fatty meat.

* Keep the fillets under fresh running water while you're working on the other fish. Well water is better than city water, but take whatever you have. The point is to keep the water moving continuously to finish flushing out all the blood.

* If you have any red meat or fat on the fillet, trim it off. The red meat can be removed easily with a sharp fillet knife - just lay it flat on the fillet, apply downward pressure and work toward the end of the fillet - it'll remove the red meat and you won't lose much white meat. Fat is yellowish or translucent meat, typically near the top of the fillet. Trim it off.

When you're done, you should have snowy white meat with no trace of blood anywhere. And it'll be some of the best-tasting blue cat you've ever had, I guarantee.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lol hang it ,, bet it,,, cut its neck.. you guys are funny! all I do with all my fish cats,bass, stripes, crappies is fellet the meat off the fish then fellet the skin off the meat wash with water good then soak in a bowl with ice water and lemon juice for about an hour . the lemon juice will pull any blood left in the meat out and fellets are nice and bright white. and I didnt have to hang or beat the crap lol out of anything. fish meat spoiles very fast so it is important to keep them cool.

6. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Leroy I'm with you I just can't imagine going through all that trouble just to clean a fish LMAO!

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    When you soak them in ice water does that break down the meat? And also soaking them in lemon and water do you get a lemon taste when you cook them after they were frozen? Sorry I dont like lemons. Thanks for any more help.

8. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Soaking them in ice water does not breakdown the meat. I have never tried the lemon deal but it will draw all the blood out without the lemon. Maybe the lemon speeds it up just a guess.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    another thing you can do, if you have a large live well, cooler or other object full of water they can swim in, cut off their tail in the water and let them swim
    soon, they will have swam out all the blood

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hold my cleaned fish under runing water and this get the blood out. I don't know if it would work on a big fish.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

This is all I have ever done and it seems to work. I have kept fish up to 40 pounds, due to injuries are gut hooked ect. Fillet, trim red meat and freeze.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    All I do to mine is fillet then rinse well under running water, but in addition to the lemon, soaking the fillets in Sprite or milk is supposed to remove blood and fishy taste. (Soaking in milk will also remove ink stains from clothes.)

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

I didn't read through all the replies here...but this sounds like what I do to an extent. I soak the skinned fillets in salt water....cover the bowl with foil and put in the fridge. After 5 or 6 hours replace the salt water and recover. Soak over night. The salt water pulls blood, impurities, etc out of the fish. This is what we do at the sports bar/pub/diner I work at with all fish we use fresh. I can tell you from the taste it really works. You guys can keep on doing the carpentry catfish thing but this works too HAHAHAHHAHAHA. To kill the fish I just put them on ice whole for a few hours and it works. Some really great rituals on here...love this place!!!!!

Good luck and good eating guys

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    we cut the tail off of any bigger than 2 lbs
    imade a hook like a hayhook but smaller on a light chain with a big swivel that we hang them on and turn while you work bleed till you get em skinned and theres hardly any left in the meat

15. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Some of these methods seem like a lot of work. When I catch a fish I put it on ice or if I do not have the ice chest with me I keep the alive on the stringer unitl I get home then put them on ice until the next day (I mainly night fish). Once I get up the next day I do nothing other than take the meat off and trim it then wash it in cold running water then soak them the in ice saltwater until that night when I am ready to cook them. When I am ready to cook them I take them from the saltwater and wash them again in cold water then batter and cook.

If I am going to freeze them for later I do the same thing but I freeze them in salt water. Never had anything but pure white meat doing it this way. This is the way my grandfater and his father did it.

Thanks

16. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I soak my fillets in saltwater overnight(zip lock bags)then rinse em in cold water and in the freezer they go:cool2:

17. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Pithing the fish with a sharp object is a humane way to kill the fish and at the same time allow the heart to continue to beat and pump the blood from the body if the tail is removed. It also paralysis the fish and makes filleting a lot easier. The sooner the meat is cooled or chilled the fresher it will be. Placing the fillets in ice water will hemolyse the red blood cells and the blue cat fillet will be pure white. Can you clean fish without all the above. Yes, but it will taste better if you take the time. The above procedure was demonstrated to me by Steve Brown a guide at Truman reservoir in Missouri. :0a26:

18. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    the easiest way is to fillet them then soak them over nite if you have the time in iced saltwater. works everytime.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I just mainly use running water on my fillets to do the trick. I have not heard of the saltwater technique though. Does it add a better taste to the fish? when frezzing them in salt water? If so I may try it.

20. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Brian

When I do mine I do not put a lot of salt in the water when I freeze them so I would not think it adds a different taste. I do know that once you defost the fish it is as white as can be.