Blood Trailing Dogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Ace, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I have found out over the years that Labador Retrievers make blood trailer.
    Where I deer hunt in Union South Carolina Claude Burns that runs Whippoorwill Hunt Camp uses Labadors Retrievers to recover deer.He had one black lab and it's hard to tell how many deer that dog recovered in his life.He owns a chocolate lab now and he's just as good as the old dog that died.These dogs are heavy enough to take down a deer that is just wounded.This dog has taken down full grown bucks with big racks. The German Hunting Terrier also makes a good blood trailer.They can find a wounded deer after it has rained all day.

:cat:

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Never tried a retriever, though my has a yellow one now that will be used hopefully this next season. Still a puppy. We always used blackmouth curs. I had 5 generations of the same line that were magnificent dogs. Slowly they all faded away. Died, killed or stolen. Haven't had a good one for several years. Fixing to get going again when I move back out of town.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Not sure if this is what you're after, but...my husband & I have 3 rat terriers that are all excellent blood trailers. The 2 females--mother & daughter--are actually better than the male. He has to stop & "sniff" too much! We've put them on several deer, & I think they've only come back empty once. We also just got a red tick hound; he showed up in our camp last year, starving & tired. We let him stick around for a couple of weeks, & then brought him home. We put him on 1 deer this year; he tracked it a long way, but my husband pulled him off once he crossed a blacktop road. But he was right on blood the whole time. He's a great dog! I think there are a lot of breeds you could use for this, as long as they're raised around it.

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    it might sound funny,but I got a blue heeler that is real popular around here for finding hit deer.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't think that sounds funny at all. I think just about any dog, if exposed to it, can trail an animal. We've had beagles, bassets,a german shepherd,rat terriers, redtick coonhound...I know a local wildlife agent who used to have a Rottweiler who could sniff em out! A lot of dogs just seem to have "the nose" for it. Anytime I cook venison, I always give each of the dogs just 1 bite of it raw; they love it. And I figure it keeps their interest in it.