Blood soaked shrimp for Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    Im going fishing on the missori tommorow and could not get any baitfish so I went to the deli and got some shrimp and chicken livers. I was thinking of soaking them together overnight in the fridge. is there any downside to this? has anyone ever done anything similar?

2. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have thought about this before, wouldn't you be sending mixed signals. My thought is shrimp aint that bloody is it, I know its giving off a scent trail. Just don't think you will fool the bigger fish, might be wrong, hey don't know until you try it. Good luck, hope you knock them dead.

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    you know I was thinking the same thing about mixed signals. but then I though that catfish dont know what shrimp smell like anyway since they arent native to the rivers around here. same with chiken livers. hahaha I doubt chicken usually fall into the river around here. that just putts a funny vision in my head. but even if I caught a small catfish I could still cut it up for bait right? do tiny cats work as bait?

4. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello sir,
    I believe you would be just fine in combining the two baits. From what I've been told and from what I have read, Catfish don't search for food based on a certain odor that is given off from the food. It's my understanding that Catfish actually are smelling or detecting the amino acids and other chemical compounds that are associated with proteins.
    So in all actuality, I believe that by combining your shrimp with the chicken liver and blood, you would be increasing the amount of amino acids on your shrimp.

Would love to hear some feedback after your trip,
    Garrett

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah Andrew , I also would like to hear how you did. :smile2:

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Seems like that's the answer to your question.

Why use a "bait" that catfish don't recognize when you could very easily use a throw net to catch your own bait and give them something they *do* recognize?

If you want to catch blue cats, and especially if you want to catch blue cats of any size, stick with live or freshly cut baits that are native to the waters you're fishing. Blue catfish are predators, not scavengers. Sure, they *might* bite on some goofy bait, but they're far more likely to bite on the same stuff they hunt day in and day out. Leave the stink baits, dough baits, blood baits, chicken livers, shrimp, etc. at home.

Of course, if all you want is to catch some small channel cats, livers might do the trick. But probably not until it warms up quite a bit.

No, you're not allowed to use game fish as bait in the state of Missouri.
    See Chapter 6 of the wildlife code, under 3 CSR 10-6.605 Live Bait and Chapter 20 under 3 CSR 10-20.805 Definitions: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr.asp

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If targeting the bigger blues I would use the jumbo/supersize ones with the shell still on it and the small leggs. Those I have known to catch a few every now and then. Other than that, if you can locate some panfish and it is legal to use for bait in your area, I would use that for cut bait.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would keep the liver seperate from the shrimp. This would give two different choices to the fish. However if you choose to mix please report the results back to the BOC.You may be on to something. Good Luck.:big_smile:

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey that might be worth trying a idea Ihave been toying around with is soaking them in fish oil:tounge_out:

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

well maybe you are right but I dont have the money for a castnet yet. I just got shrimp and liver because it was all I could afford. but next paycheck im getting a castnet and a sinker mold :big_smile:

ok we had 3 fish on with the shrimp but they kept swimming to the same spot and getting snagged. we caught a few shad and someone gave us a 40lb bighead carp that we cut up and used. I also tried just plain chicken livers and nightcrawlers. I only got one bite on the cut bait and once again the fish swam to that spot and I got snagged. needless to say I wont be fishing at that spot anymore. I lost about 10$ worth of hooks and sinkers lol. I didnt get any bites with the worms and livers.