Blood boiling!!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MrFlathead, Jul 14, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I want to let you all know why I have so many 5-20lb flatheads near a cooler ready for the chopping block at my house in my picture albums. It is not because I am a catfish horde and am trying to fish out the places I go but Maryland/Pennsylvania has a different look upon the ole flathead.

I keep and eat them because if I get caught by a ranger or conservation officer I can get a hefty ticket for releasing any size of them. I may also have to protect myself against belligerent Maryland city slicker striped bass fisherman that regularly murder the Flathead. I have watched SO SO SO many striper fisherman cut the gills of flatheads and release them up to 25ish lbs for their last swim. I have seen them thrown up on the bank like gar or carp in an overcrowded lake or river and have watched kids slice and dice 20lb fish up with big rocks and their daddys pocket knife. Atleast if I catch them they go for a better use than a waste of a beutiful creature.

Here is a link to put into perspective what I am talking about.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20020726catfish0726p7.asp

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds pretty ignorant to me the waters i fish that have flathead in them i can still catch other species eisier than flathead. some places i fish could use some flatheads to even thing out some.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    According to what Mike Kaufman said, a commission biologist.( Who gets payed for any thought he has), Every river system in the nation that has a flathead in it will be void of bream, smallmouth, etc... before to long..Thats a JOKE!.:roll_eyes:

and hes a biologist,don't he know a bluegill will spawn(6)+times a year ? and Billions of them.:eek:oooh: their just part of the food chain IMHO.

I have to agree on one thing ,,the flathead is a eating machine, But he justs sits around most of the time,and eats what swims by, and or goes for a stroll at night to seek what he can devourer.:big_smile:

But he is nothing compared to the Ever cruiseing great white of fresh water, The non stop eater the Blue cat :wink: Now they are the eating machine IMHO.

I didn't read where they would fine you for keeping them, only they were asking for the fishermen for help.

"We're going to start spreading the word that we would like anglers to keep

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    The striped bass is an eating machine too. If you have ever seen a school of them on a feeding frenzy you know what I mean.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    kill the carp thats the fous,

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flathead is about the finest eating you can get. If a state has a kill law then eat the poor fish dont wastem over tastless striper fillets.:angry: Some peeps dont know when they got it good.:roll_eyes:

7. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Some people have no clue of what they are talking about. They need to do more research on how they help rivers. It is not like the bull head carp taking over a river. Flatheads do not over take a river like that. If they did that would be all you would catch and that is not the case. Just my 2 cents.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    would you eat the bigger ones if you caught them in your state/home waters? if not then why come to my state and do it. you have the legal right to do what you wish with what you caught and at least you are not wasteing them. but i bet you would not enjoy seeing me in your waters keeping some very large flatheads. and you are suggested to not release them and no mention of a fine. trust me and go to the PA thread and you will see that no one there kills the flatheads they catch for fear of a fine. i know of no one there who does not CPR there fish. besides that is an article from 2002. ask some of the guys that fish that water in the PA forum if they have ever gotten a fine and if the fishery is suffering at all from this fish being there.

9. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas

Thanks Kenny for the information, about Mike Kaufman, That is one of the problems with Catfish not haveing Game Fish Status now !!!! is people like Mr. Kaufman, he is no doubt a card carrying member of B.A.S.S. LOL !!
    just because Mr. Kaufman is a Fish Biologist doesnt mean he knows everything,it is hard to believe that someone in Mr. Kaufman's position would make a statement like that (((in public ))) anyway,
    Not only will Catfish Rescue have to fight the Special Interest Groups, but also people in Fish and Game management.

Just my Opinion

cliff

10. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    My lake here in north florida is not a huge lake but good size lake talquin but any way I have never caught a flathead out of it they are there I just dont target them but this lake is swarming with bass crappie blue gills red ear its booming with channel cats! that nobody fish for! but I have seen pics at the local bait store with people who caught some by accident and when i asked the owner about the flats he said the lae

11. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Bull crap my lake is full of flats channel bream bass and crappie like you wouldnt belive the flats which i dont target and have never caught are in there and i have seen pics of some nice ones but the lake is awesome to catch whatever no shortages. Where are those animal rights people when you need them!!!!!:confused2::angry::angry::angry::angry:

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    there is a thread in PA talk forum that has been going on for a little while now dealing with this. go and read if you like. you'll know the thread when you see it, about commision killing flatheads. feel free to voice your opinions folks.

13. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I fish the Maryland side of the river between the bay and Conowingo dam there buddy and they are even more pissy about it down here. I couldnt find the MD DNR article about it that I saw to post with it, that was just and example to put into perspective what I say AND I would rather take it home then take the chance of someone catching it when I wasnt there to destroy it. Sorry you didnt understand what i was saying.

I have the article from Maryland Department of Natural Resources saved on my computer somewhere that I will have my wife find and post. Sorry Flamekeeper for not including that.

Dont want any beef with anyone just letting you know what is going on in my neck of the woods!

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You said it, what a joke... all that stuff is crap. He needs to come fish my river for smallies, Sauger and Crappie some time- how easy it is to prove he ain't got a clue- or, Yeah, he's paid off (more than likely.) Catfisherman are going to have to put some biologist in our pocket to get the real facts payed attention to. I've fished the rivers for nearly three decades I AM a real friggen fish biologist- just aint got that worthess piece of paper saying so and makes my input void.
    Man dudes like that are the Jim Jones' of Fishery biologists- I'd love to get my paws around lying neck... They're causing all kinds of heart-ache for us with their paid-off bullshit.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    whats the difference if your keepin every fish or someone else is? is that any better. i cpr every fish i catch in PA and the warden knows it, i've showed them pics of fish i've caught and always chat with them, back in 2004 it was sugested to beach or keep them, but thats not even pushed anymore, and the upper cheasapeke is a much larger fishery then where i fish, i also fish in the upper cheasapeake below conowingo and can't amagine the maryland commision giving ya a fine for releasing a flathead. if your keeping them for the freezer thats one thing but if ya feel ya have to keep everyone or your breakin the law i'd release the ones ya don't need. in fact they have flatty tourneys above the conowingo on the PA side and the flattys are released.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa

It's kind of confusing because the forum info for you says you are from Illinios. If I was in a place like you are talking about, I suppose I would eat more of them. I bet it really pisses a guy off to see them wasted. I can't imagine how much disgust that could impart.

Showin some respect to the fish is contagious, hopefully. It's bound to be frustrating in that environment.

In general, I wish there weren't any pictures of bigger fish in front of garages and stuff on here. Duh, people eat fish but I think it kinda hurts the image of the sport. If you're fishin to eat then there is no sport. If we show the respect, we can hope it will pass on to other people.

17. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il

I keep them mostly in fear of one of the striper fisherman catching it and killing it which is a total waste. Your from around there so you know if you have been to the dam those guys kill flatheads when they get them or if one of the russian or asain guys are around they give it to them. I fish that dam 2-3 times a month and dont think i dont release them if nobody is looking I have just been told by the ranger or security guy or whoever that is that is always telling people not to go past the no trespassing sign that I can get a fine for releasing them in MD waters. That and it was in the same article I read about Zebra mussels and the snakehead on the MD DNR website that is not there now LOL. Figures now that I actually need it seems that some of you think I am pulling this out of my butt. All I can say is go to Conowingo Dam and if you see a Striper fisherman out there with a surf rod that is not asain, Russian or me; catch a flathead I bet you that fish is getting killed and wasted.

My home of record is Illinois I am in the military and stationed at Ft. Meade Maryland.

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't kill 'em because your afraid of a fine tell 'em to kiss your ass- take the ticket, and tell the judge it's against your ethics to kill for no reason....
    Around here it's called wanton waste and you'll be jailed for killing fish like that.

19. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I agree with you Bill,

Catfish Rescue is a good start for sure, the Fish and Game departments will give you the run around for years before a decision is made by them, ((if at all))) right now they have no studys to go on, of the Catfish , and the damage that commercial fishing is doing to the population of catfish, so before they will make a call, they will have to make studys of every river and lake that has commercial fishing in it, in order to make a sound management plan !!! and while they are makeing thier studys, the ""Poaching"" of the Big Cats will continue !!

"" It doesnt matter that they are already doing it with out any sound judgement""" or studys . now.

It wont matter if you have your own Fish Biologist with all kinds of stats, and information, the State will only take thier own Biologist request , for change and management,

You will really have to learn to control your emotions about the subject, if not it will hurt the effort more than help,

After the word gets out each state will gear up to block every move you make, they will not be told how to manage the Fishing industry by a handful of Catfisherman and women,

I dont mean to sound negative ((LOL)) but I have been involved in Wildlife issues before, when I was much younger, and know what you can expect from the Commission, I am to old and tired now,

cliff

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your right about the emotion parts and I certainly realize that - but, boy, it all get under my skin like nothing else. LOL! I'll put up my money and my pesents, but I'm at least smart enough to keep my mouth shut and let a cooler head represent the cause.