Blood bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Catmaster, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Go to your local butcher/me and ask them if they will make you blood bait. on kill days. If they dont know how tell them if they will do it to airiate the blood of a couple beef you will not need any more than that for one week. You do this by sloshing the blood realy fast while it is hot out of the beef.(2 min at most) When this sloshing occurs air bubbles get into the blood. The blood cuagulates in bubbles and forms a kind of spongy substance. This stays on your hook better and lets off alot more scent/blood than store boughten blood bait. It also makes an awsome chum.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    How do you store it? Do you let it coag in something flat so you can cut it up in chunks?

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I tried this once. I couldn't keep on the hook. When I went to pick it up he had put it in the frig, I think it cooled to fast. I would like to try it again, but I need a little know how first. If anyone has done it with some degree of success, please help

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I make my own blood bait by letting it set up for a day then i cut it into chunks. I drift fish this and it works great.

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I like to use cookie sheets which have a lip of 1/2-3/4" all the away around.
    (1)Spray pan with Pam or other type spray oil.

(2)Then "mix" my bucket of blood while adding salt (about 2 large boxes of table salt to 4 gal blood) & mix well.

(3)Being lazy I made a paddle out of a piece of 3/6" threaded bolt with wood paddle and hooked it to my varible speed drill. (Use low speed)

(4)Then I pour the blood onto my pans until full.

(5)I have then either refregerated the pans as well as put in shade to "thicken", & have even used ice cube trays with a hook put in each cube.

I like the frozen cubes when I fish during the heat of day in the summer as it lasts longer. I have even used garlic salt a few times instead of table salt. Both seem to work just about the same, however I seem to like the garlic better-no real reason just seem to like it better. Hope this helps.

Frank

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    PS:

Forgot to tell you I like to use cotton balls on the cookie sheets as well as in the ice cubes. You can spread them out in 1" spacing on the cookie sheets when you pour the blood, but personally I like to place the cotton balls after I pour as I get a more "even" bait cube. After chilling/drying I then use a knife and cut into 3/4 to 1" cubes.

Frank

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I have used both beef blood and chicken blood in my dip and ball bait mix. I've pitched both at the same time at the same brush pile. I've always had better results using the chicken combo. I use Blue cheese as a base for both presentations. When all else fails the Blue works pretty good by itself.
    Good Fishin,
    Don

Give a man a fish and he will eat today, teach him to fish and he will eat the rest of his life.