blood bait?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by duckgetr, May 20, 2008.

1. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    does anyone knowhow to keep blood from a butcher shop on the hook for drifting? I have heard that you mix the blood with jello jellitan mix and let it cool in the fridge but it falls off the hook really easily. It works well for limb lines but how do people make it stay on for drifting. whats the trick?? if anyone knows I would love to know. Thanks

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i just did a search on google and came up with alot of results, plenty of options.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jim! You can also check our library for some recipes.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That was covered at the KC Boat show by John Jamison he is a BOC memeber and he goes by the name kansas bluecatter. He talked about it for a while I would PM him and I'm sure he will get you hooked up with alll the info that you need to know.

5. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    You may have trouble finding a locker that will do this for you, but the way I used to get it was have the plant drain the blood into a bucket right out of the cow. It is important to not stir this. It will coagulate and needs to be refrigerated until you get it back. When you open it there will be watery blood that did not set up, but there will be a big chunk the shape of the bucket. Pour of the thin stuff and carefully slide out the chunk and cut it into slabs with a machete. Then cut it into squares. Some people add salt or other goodies at this point. You need a rigging needle of some sort to slide it onto a leader with a 2-3 oo treble. It will not cast, but can be drifted. There are easier baits to fish with for sure, but sometimes this will catch a couple more than others.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Bryan Pinick, now there's a critter I ain't seen in a while!! Shoot me a PM some time and we'll go wet our line and our whistles:big_smile:

7. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Will do Charlie.