blood bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by capt theory, Dec 28, 2007.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i always prefer using cut shad in the heart of winter, but sometimes those boogers just cant be found. what do you guys do when shads not an option?
    does anyone use real bloodbait and have success? ive heard good but i dont know where to find any thats not just stink bait.. any suggestions?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup, make your own. Its easy and I have been making it for years. Go to a processor with a 5 gallon bucket with lid and ask him to catch the fresh hot blood,about 2-2.5 gals. When the flow slows down then have him take it directly, before it starts to clot to the chilling room. Pick it up 24 hours later so that it is good and cold and well clotted. If he waited too long then the bucket is a mess and should be destroyed or dumped out. It has to be harvested and then taken immediately to the chill room. I cannot stress this enough. OK, we have the bucket at home in the backyard. Ring the bucket with a fillet knive or hacksaw blade like your wife rings a cake out of the pan. Put your hand over the giant clot and pour it out of the bucket onto a piece of plywood or some cutting surface. Trim the foam off and start slicing slabs off approx 2" thick. Next slice the slabs approx 2 finger widths thick and put in a ice cream tub or appropriate tub for freezing. You may salt it now if you want to toughen it slightly then freeze. The blood toughens every time you refreeze and still has no odor. You cannot cast the blood because you will sling it off. It is perfect though for drifting. Blues and channels hammer it.
    Hope this helps.

catman george

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats awesome. thank you. i am unfortunately bank bound so im going to have to figure something out. maybe the ole pantyhose/netting rig like with liver trick? thats the only thing i can think of besides bloody shad during the winter. even my carp holes are dry right now. i have to figure something out cause i can smell the big one swimming out right in front me. i wish they sold whole shad at the supermarket. thanks again my friend.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can further dehydrate the blood to make it tougher but when you do that the blood does not "milk" as much. People have put the blood on window screens to better dehydrate it and it can then be cast but it still does not send out as much scent as the frozen blood. You can re freeze the blood at least a couple of times before it starts to get an odor and begins to spoil.

catman george

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i haven't used blood bait in a long time, haven't been able to get my hands on any either, we used to get it from the chicken farms but stopped because they were worried about samples of blood dna on their chickens or something like that, but anyways what kind of processer where you talking about???? i remember those hot summer nights we would absolutly kill the channel cats on that stuff, i need to find me some

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I grew up using Catfish Charlies blood bait and always had great luck with it. I used it mostly on lakes though and never caught more than just eating size, 10lbs or less. Just for a safety measure for winter cats though, I freeze shad and skipjack I catch during the spring so I'll have them when they become scarce.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would expect that there should be a meat packer or kill plant somewhere around Grove or Jay. I have several gallons frozen just waiting to be used. At the rate I am going I will be the one frozen before the bait thaws. A friend who fishes catfish tournaments alot taught me how to make the blood bait. It sure works on blues, WOW does it ever. If you cannot find one I will call abuddy in Grove and see where he gets his blood. Check the area yellow pages for meat processors. They should be listed.

catman george

8. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks George, i would be greatly appreciative, you don't know how many times i've been chasing leads to find some and ended up empty handed, and i've about 6 diffrent good friends that work in the chicken farms over in spavinaw and they can't get me any, so that would be awesome and don't freeze up over there send some this way it will be but to use by all good means.... Thanks again

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey vince, what kind of boat is that there in your Profile picture, just curious, oh and wheres everybody getting theire skipjacks???

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's a Boston Whaler. Being I'm a polock I had to have something that is unsinkable, and trust me, it's been tested, LOL. I've got the seat and console out waiting for good weather to put the new ones in. Other than that, I love the boat!

I usually get my skipjacks below lock and dam 16 (webber falls), lock and dam 17 between wagoner and muskogee, or below ft. gibson dam. Usually get the skippies around march below 16 and 17, and got a bunch of them below ft. gibson around august.

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i was looking into a few of those before i got what i got now, i just thought they were a tad bit pricey for me anywyas, you wouldn't want to go fishing with me, it's almost a disaster every time, that's why i almost always fish by myself, if something bad can possibley happen it usually does, anyways i wonder how skippies would do up here, never used them

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like we do need to fish together. I have the same kind of luck and with two of us, we might be able to fix the problem faster, LOL.

I actually got a great deal on the boat, and glad I did. I came out from the dock after a storm and found it completely full of water and rolling off the sides. The motor's exhaust was still out of the water. It could still run and drive while full of water! All the advertisements and comercials were right. I need idiotproof gear, haha.:smile2:

13. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    in years past i did gather and freeze plenty of shad and skips for the winter. but this year im living with a young lady who would rather move out than have me do that.. :crazy: and my usual winter shad places are closed because of all the damage from the ice storms.. dont tell anyone, but ive got one frozen skipjack that i caught earlier in the year hidden in the back of the freezer.. bout a foot long and just waiting on my choice of use. ive heard great things about blood bait and blues though.
    and regarding the skips, xringer 3 nailed it. i catch mine from the tulsa area south at the dams on the navigation channel. during the spring the arkansas and verdigris can load up with em, just depends on wich rivers running more water at the time of the migration.. fun fishing and fantastic bait.

14. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    for those of you that know how to make blood bait why dont you package and sell I know there is a large market for it Ive tried to get it for years now.

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I could do that and distribute it in the OKC area. If anyone is interested let me know. It would be frozen in plastic quart containers.

catman george

16. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    i make a blood bait and sell it in stores in K.C. metro and surounding areas.i have sold a bunch to my distibutor here in K.C. I would like to see it OK.it comes frozen in a pint jar with a label.

17. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well ive been running into that shad repeatedly again so it sorta slipped my mind. but if you guys do this, dont forget the tulsa area.. and i guarantee muskogee would move a lot of product as long as people know about it. theres catfish waters in every direction down there. word of mouth gets around in a smaller town like that so that shouldnt be a problem. you guys would rock though.

and a friendly reminder, the blues are definately biting if you can find em.. caught a handful last sunday morning right after the temps went into the thirties.. biggest just over 15 or so.. good times.. good luck guys.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is one of them meat processing places just north of Edmond, actually on the NW corner of Waterloo and Coltrane. You need to get there early on a Monday morning, with your own 5 gal bucket and lid. They will let you know when there schedule to butcher is, and you can go back that afternoon and pick up the blood. It just needs a cool place to set and congel. Then, cut it as George said, but it with the back side of a hacksaw blade. I salt mine down with brown sugar and let it set a few hours before packaging it up. Years ago, it seems like we did the same except cut the blood into 3/4 inch cubes, put on the side of a cardboard box, and set in the sun to bake. Keep a close watch on it as if it gets too hot it becomes brittle and you can't get a hook into it. You probably will have to do it a few times to get the experience where you can say enough is enough. It would stay on a spinning reel, if casted gently. Worked better on trot lines and drift fishing.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here are some blood bait recipes I've collected:

His bait is cow blood (dad knows butcher). And I dont believe he knows exactly how it's made but he claims if you cool the blood realy fast after draining from buchered cow. It coagulates into the jello blood we were using. Thats just what this stuff was like jello. You take a sguare piece take a trebble hook with a leader on it. take a piece of wire and poke a hole in the delicate square and pull the hole thing through to rest on the hook. I had no luck trying to cast it. Flew right off the hook

But we had succes in the boat (after dark) drifting in the boat dragging this stuff along the bottom. It doesen't seem to fall off that way.
    Of course this is where blood bait probably originated from, but if I had to choose over modern day blood bait and modern day chicken liver I would choose chicken liver every time.

My friends friend just made a batch of bloodbait. According to my friend, this is what he did. Went to the slaughter house the morning they planned on killing the cattle. He took a 5 gallon bucket and waited to get it filled with fresh blood. After he got the blood, he waited for about 2 hours for the blood to coagulate. He then poured it over a large window screen to filter out the coagulated blood. The remaing liquid goes thru the screen. He let that sit for a few minutes, after spreading it out in a layer about an inch thick. He then cut the blood into 1" squares and salted the the entire top of the cubes. He then used a spatula to detach the cubes from the screen and flipped the cubes over and salted them again. Once the cubes have a good coating of salt on them, they will roll around when you tilt the screen to allow the entire cube to get coated with the salt. The consisteny is that of a very firm jello. He stores the cubes in 1 qt. mason jars. He made 8 jars from the 5 gallon bucket of blood.

Back in my pup days we used blood bait quite alot, but chicken blood worked much better than beef blood. For some reason or another you just can't get chicken blood anymore. They used to let folks have it for bait making, but seems the EPA or somebody won't let the chicken growers do that any more.

It was poured out on some boards in pancake sized puddles to dry out, some brown sugar was added, and some feathers were put in to give it a bit more body. The patties were stored in gallon paint buckets with some liquid to keep em from drying out.

We would cut the patties in bait sized pieces while we fished and leave them out of the bucket on a board to dry out a bit. When using it we used a single hook, but when the hook was tied onto the fishing line you left about a foot and a half tag end hang off the hook and used that extra line to wrap around the bloodbait to help hold it on the hook.

The bait could be cast, but you did need to be easy with it. It would stay on pretty well till you tried to set a hook, then it was time to bait again.

It didn't work well in swift water.

20. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    great info there jtrew.. the thing that stuck out the most was using the extra length of line tied past the hook. that would probably work great for liver among a few other things.. props.