Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anybody on here remembers or even knew a guy in Mustang OK. that used to make beef blood bait. It was in strips a little bigger than a kit kat bar twice as wide about as long. You could cast it limb line it trout line it what ever you wanted to do. Had to be kept in freezer or on ice. We used to catch every kind of cat on it. For a samll coffee can it was about 25 dollars back in the 70s and early 80s
Just wondering if anybody uses any thing like that or remembers the guy. He is dead now.
Thanks Cam

·
Registered
3 Posts
We used lots of his blood bait back in the mid 60s. I seem to remember that It came in metal cans with lids like paint cans but smaller and no labels. I don't remember it costing that much, more like 4 or 5 dollars a can because we would buy as many as 20 cans at a time We would order 4 or 5 weeks ahead so he c. We would thaw it out and pour it out on a chunk of plywood to cut the strips into chunks about as long as they were wide and then rake it back into the can. I think the cans held something like a quart but it's been many years. We caught boat loads of catfish, mostly channel cats and flatheads on trotlines using his blood bait in Ft. Cobb lake out west of OKC and in Tenkiller around the Snake Creek and Burnt Cabin areas.

We caught a guy running our line one morning early on Ft. Cobb and we had to hold my uncle back from going after him with a gaff hook. We had been up all night and had run the line taking fish off and re-baiting it twice during the night. We had three lines with the limit of 100 hooks on each spaced about 10 to 15 feet apart.

The line was my uncle's and was para-cord that he had "acquired" somehow where he worked at Tinker Field. He had almost 2 miles of the stuff on a big spool that had to be hand cranked when we took the lines up at the end of the trip. Then he had a double sided metal "board" with holes for the hooks and bungees across the leaders hanging down with 5 hooks per hole. The leaders were doubled nylon braid line just a bit bigger than a pencil lead and a swivel in the middle with a spring clip to attach to the main line. If I remember correctly, the board held almost 500 hooks so we could put out as many as 5 100 hook lines or even more lines with less hooks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts