Blood bait recipe needed - "The house needs paintin', the grass needs...

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by fourteenfootcat, Jun 11, 2006.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    ...mowin'...where's he at?????" (lyrics taken from Hank Parker Outdoors)

*background hum*

He's gone *flathead* catfishin'...... *guitar strum*

Yes, I'm back. Longer beard, longer hair, an earring or two to perfect my catfishin' look, and lookin' for a recipe on how to make blood bait. On the Des Moines River in Iowa, that's what the flatheads are hitting during the day. At night, BIG suckers on BIG circle hooks on a Garcia 7000 with a saltwater rod and 80 lb black dacron.

Hey, I'm willing to give out my secrets for secrets on how to make blood actually coagulate and stay on the treble hook. :cool2:

May the God that created catfish bless you and keep you!

Sincerely,

Big Fourteen

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Hey James there are some god threads and stuff in the library on blod bait. I read this one in a catfish Journal. Get chicken or beef blood and pour it on to a scren and let it drain the serum wil drain and the whole blod wil stay on top now freeze this and repeat the freezing and letting it drain several times until it seems fairly firm or tough then cut up into portions and use.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

3. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Is there a posting on blood bait and the making of it on this forum? I'm clueless as to how to search for such. Much thanks!

James

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i just recieved a bucket of blood i bought from catfish connection yesterday.today i poured out the ginormous chunk of geled blood ,cut it up,layered it with brown sugar,and added a few drops of anise oil per container.tomorrow i will try it out and give a report on how it worked on milford lake in kansas.the last few weeks i have been rippin lips on the channel and blues using blood 3-8 lbs drifting in 30-35 feet of water at milford.i am gonna try some deeper water to start off.has anyone else used the blood from catfish conection?

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    James, I don't have a recipe for you...just wanted to say welcome back!:smile2:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i tried it back in march with no luck but think the water was still to cold yet. got to figure out how to keep it on a hook.

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ok here is how i do it. take your main line and put on a weight and then tie on a medium sized snap swivel.then for your leader get some nylon line i use berkley big cat and cut off a18'' to 24''piece and then tie a small loop at one end and a #4 or#2 treble on the other end.you need a piece of thin wire about 6 or 7 inches long and with a pair of needlenose,form a small hook at one end.now youre ready to get that blood on the hook.take the piece of wire and with the small hook end,hook the loop on your leader.take a chunk of blood and slide it down the wire and leader and it will sit on top of the treble.doing it this way allows you to use a bigger piece of bait than just putting the blood on top of the treble and pushing it thru.it sounds way more confusing than it really is.:0a26:

8. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i forgot to tell ya at least here in ks,blood has always been a warmer water kinda bait.mid 80's.also when you are drifting with blood it is the best idea just to let your spool open and drop the bait straight down till it hits bottom and then let out bout another 40 to 50 feet of line so your bait will stay on the bottom if you go over a channel or a break.