Blood Bait in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Bigmagic, May 9, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Blood Bait? I know Catdracula used to post and share info on his methods but I missed the gathering where he did the presentation. I am experimenting with baits other than shad this year and comparing them to shad when I fish. I would like to try some Blood Bait if I can find out the best way to use it. Anyone used it?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have played with blood bait,a little, have used turkey and catfished blood.
    have mixed thoughts, fresh blood, seems to draw them in , I play with trapping lure some the hot fresh smell of blood, does a number on dogs or hogs that smell fresh blood, cats being a predatior, probley would respond in like manner. a lot of trouble to fool with, used tapons to soak the blood in, wasnt to satisfied, with results, used as a chum, might work good, catdaddy in kansas, use to chum with blood,. if a person could come up with a good
    way to present it, I have know doubt, it would be a top notch bait for channels, and blues maybe strippers, But then, think about fresh chicken livers, their pretty bloody, (food for thought)
    have, several packets of beaver liver froze up, seems that, they are better at certain, times of the year,Knew of a old timer that, liked to get rabbit liver in jan. & feb. for channels, but might of been the only bait, he could get. in winter .blood would work if the small ones didnt drive you nuts. Its a open field yet. hope this, stirs your thoughts.
    jim

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Jim I think Catdracula used to let the blood coagulate and then freeze treble hooks attached to leaders in an ice cube tray maybe? I'm not sure, I've also heard that once it coagulates its much easier to work with.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Ibought 2 gals of turkey blood bait from catdaddy about 3 years ago, I didnt give it the proper trial and error, it congeled, on top it was recomened to let it set in sun with lid on , it was pretty thick, but in current it didnt stay on long and if a little one messed with it it went off
    the hook even faster .
    At one time I think several of the kansas boys were useing blood, maybe they will have some input. catfish connection has blood, question is which is better chicken turkey fish or beef.

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Turkey blood works the best. Cut it in one inch strips about 6 inches long and tread it on your hook up the leader. Rather messy to work with if you can stand the smell. Works better in lakes drifting to lay down a scent path along with your other baits...
    Do not freeze it or take it below 40 degrees as it will kill off all the enzymes.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    where do you get turkey blood. and what methode do you use to, to get it to bait , had some years ago that had brown sugar, in it to preserve it,
    any input, apprecated, I know this is bigmagic thread, but qurosity, got me. and I dabble in lures and scents,
    Thanks
    Jim

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If your going to cast blood bait using a little mesh bag will help it stay on the hook. Otherwise I think it's better for drifting.

8. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get some ice cube trays. Put a single or treble hook in each compartment. Then fill each compartment with blood. Set it out in the sun for a few hours and the blood will harden good. Then freeze or use. Works pretty good.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    “where do you get turkey blood. and what methode do you use to, to get it to bait” Sorry I cant really answer this one. This process is actually copyrighted and or patented by Catdaddy Shumway, one of my friends and Grandfathers of the Sport as we enjoy it today. He took us to a new level in Catfishing as very few actually know the process and his methods on how to use it. There have been a few articles written on him and believe me, he is quite interesting to talk to.

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I bought some blood bait off him 5 years ago I think , Does he still make and sell it, If so how do you get a hold of him, Thanks
    Jim

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim.. We will have to let BOC admin or mods comment on this if I can give out this type of information or not. I am not sure on how they stand on this type of issue to be quite honest with ya...

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try doing a Google search for Catdaddy Shumway. That way, no one has to be concerned about posting a non-sponsor commercial website on the board.