Blood Bait for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dax9317, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dax9317

dax9317 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would like to try to use blood bait this year. I have heard of pretty good luck with the stuff. I am trying to find a recipe for the stuff. Any help would be great. I plan on using cow blood. Thanks

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's at least one recipe for blood bait in the library; I found it on the web. If you do an advanced Google search on 'blood bait', you should find a few more.

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    The only thing that ive ever caught on blood was channels. But one way that i used to do it was gets some dough balls(before it rises) and let it soak in the blood overnight before u go fishing. that way it stays on the hook.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used to have a member who caught some really big blues driftfishing with blood bait (not the dough type).

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have heard of freezing blood with a hook in it in ice trays. I have never tryed it, but it sounds like it might work.

7. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    Ive had some luck with chicken breast soaked in liver blood over nite hope this helps

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Use plain ol' cows blood and drift it. If there's a better way to catch channels I haven't seen it.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    DA,this question comes up frequently.Late 90s some guys from Nebraska came to Santee and fished one of the tournaments at Randolphs with blood bait they made.They kicked all of our butts with the highest pounds ever caught in a tourney down there.I know because my team finished second to them about 400lbs back.They had a process by which they salted and dried the blood several times to toughen it,then froze it after cutting it into pieces.Then they pushed a dowel thru it and inserted a treble in the bait and drifted with it.They published an article in In -Fisherman that detailed the process and you could probably find it by going to the In-Fisheramn magazine website.My memory is fading but I've dug out my logbook just for you.It was the National Championship Sept 1999.Their names were Rick Walker,Scott Hrbek,and Jerry lewis from Omaha.They had 614 lbs to our 187.All fish were released alive.You might look on the Neb area and see if anybody knows these guys or do a google search.I used some blood last year at Santee and caught a 38 lb blue but it is a mess to use.They used turkey blood I think but laws have changed since then and it might be hard to get large quantities.Hope this helps.:)

10. ragley18

ragley18 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I need some help on a good bait (cheap) I have tried that charlies bait but haven,t had much luck with fish or keepin it on the hook not sayin its a bad bait but it seems the catfish here in louisiana don,t care for it much.:confused:

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Jim, it's amazing what that blood will do, it seems like it can out fish everything else 10 to 1. Last summer I was talking to an old timer and he told me I should try drifting blood. He used this stuff in tourneys back in the 80's and from what he said they would kick everyones butt. What he does is gets a bucket of cows blood and sets it in a cool place for 24 hours. After it sets up you take it out of the bucket and cut it up. When you're baiting this stuff you need to use a soft leader, if you use monofilament it will cut right through the blood. You also take a thin piece of wire and run it through the blood to get it on your hook. After this you just set it over the side and start drifting, you don't need much of a wieght unless its real windy or deep.When you start drifting just kick back and hold on to your rod tight because they slam this stuff! If you don't think this stuff works ask jim about the guys from Nebraska that caught 614 lbs of catfish.:)

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i know how to make it i just dont know where to get it. i like chiken blood but since tysons and goerges started killing chickens i cant find a small poultry processer to get blood from. the way my family makes it is on a sheet of plywood tilted about 10 degrees so the liquid will drain off.you spread the blood out about 1/4 inch thick all over the plywood.then you spread a layer of salt and a layer of brown sugar on the blood let it set for about an hour and then flip it over on ahother sheet of ply wood and spread salt and sugar on the other side of your bait . we repeat this process about 6 times in one day then cut your bait into strips and layer it into a 2 gallon platsic icecream tub. we salt and sugar in between layers. do not do this in direct sunlight as the sun will dry the bait out to fast.hope this helps.i am sure beef blood probably works well .but i read a study somewhere where a catfish was attracted to 1 ppm of fish blood,6ppm of puoltry blood and if memory serves me about 38ppm of beef blood.important note cover plywood with wax paper before spreading blood.

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Great post Slabmaster. That is library material! I think that is about the same as my Uncle used to make for many years. The only difference was instead of plywood he used cookie sheets that had a 3/4" lip on them so it would form 3/4" chunks.

Frank

14. sphinxman

sphinxman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I get deer blood and soak nightcrawlers over night. I never get skunked.

15. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    thanks will give this a try