Blizzards a comin' Ma. Warm up your snow shovel.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Dec 21, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Almost 4 weeks of rain, ice, snow, dense fog, no sun and rarely above freezing. Nothing compared to what we here in this neck of the woods are going to get now.

Starting Saturday AM. Rain, followed by ice, followed by 8 or more inches of snow. This will be pushed by 40 mph winds or greater followed by drastically low temperatures.

Ya know what they call that folks? White out, blizzard. I don't know what they would call that in Florida. Probably a cold hurricane. I would love to tell you what I would call this phenomena, but I can't 'cause this is a religious forum. You guys pray before every catfish you kill.

Merry Christmas as usual has changed to Merry Crap. People will be hitching up their buckboards, descending on the grocery stores like a fire sale at Macy's. By tomorrow night there won't be a stick of butter, loaf of bread or 30 pack of beer to be found anywhere. They will then disappear from sight until they begin to dig out. Might not see some people till spring.

Might be a good weekend to poach deer.

I hope my motor grader guy can get to his machine. I hope my tractors start. I hope I got a place to put all this snow. I gotta reinforce my back brace. Maybe I should go South to see Kenny the Catfish. He at least has wood cut.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Been there done that last week and weekend. You all keep it up North this time (PLEASE)
    What happened to the mild winter they kept saying we was gonna have?So much for the weather mans perdictions and (they ain't never wrong):roll_eyes: .Dn't believe me just ask them.
    Stay safe out here .Guess we won't see you till Spring (Right)!!

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    John, you could always come north. It's 32 deg. here now and was all night.
    If I keep my fingers crossed it may just miss us again. At times the cold north ain't to cold.
    Oops I spoke to soon, the weather bug is chirping an alert. Dense fog all day turning to rain than ice than snow.:sad2: Man I hate winter.

All I can think of is sitting on the river on a nice warm sunny day with a cold brew in my hand. A slight breeze in the air, just enough to keep the sweat at bay. Well now back to reality.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Its only December and I'm already tired of winter. Cant remember the last time i saw the sun. Weave got over a ft. of snow on the ground and at these temps its gunna be around a long time. No ice storms so far this winter, Iowa, wherever that is, seems to be getting more than there share of ice. Been too dang cold to even go ice fishing. Knowing you John im sure your prepared for the blizzard, just be careful. Like your new Avatar!

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    humph!

i know this will sound horribly immature and naive......

i would love to get some colder weather down here. i have been hunting in 75 degree temps every weekend this year. i dont want all that snow and ice, just some kool nights at maybe 35-40.

i dont fully comprehend what yall are going through up there, but it sounds scary enuff. wish you the best of luck and the warmest of fires. look at it this way, you can take all those extra cases of beer and throw them out the front door, instead of putting them in your extra fridge.

by the by: if that happened in south alabama (or the florida panhandle where pj is) we wouldnt confuse it with a "cold hurricane". we already know that it would mean the gates of hell had opened up, and we should make ammends with the big guy and the preacher man immidiately.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ma nature is not being to friendly this year huh?

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ice and snow here for the next 2 days too.....fortunately, tho, i expect no accumulation on my road and driveway as they are covered by trees and limbs from last week and a half bout of ice:eek:oooh::smile2:

John you stay safe and warm.:big_smile:

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    OH don;'t worry guys, when springtime rolls around we'll head up north and dig you out. By that time ,I figured the snow will be below the house top levels.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well It's the annual trip to the in -laws,and to see my brand new great niece or nephew,whichever it turns out to be ,my niece is in the hospital dialated to 5 at the moment. anyhoo. I have planned on inviting our very own poisonpitts [Johnny ]along to join in the foray.wish me luck in getting there and both of us hardheadded ole birds on getting a few cats.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Load you have all the warm wishes here and we want reports:wink:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beetleman it is 45* here and my jaws hurtin where I use to have teeth,my knee is achinng wher I blew it lifting weights ,my back is letting me know I aint as young as I use to be even though I am still a pup.." Ma nature is tellin me to dig in and get ready she is gonna let us all know round here who is boss" {as any woman we are running nothing but our mouths }so get it togather and enjoy this cold ride.Santa better watch out or his ride will be short of power"Donnar or Blissen " might be the main course fer this house if the chance comes ,Hope it is gonna blow over but I have all kinds of Injun sighns that says tis not gonna be the case.......Cabin Fever yeah I am experiencing that to,kids are out of school for a minute and Lilly is home till further notice.The neighbors horse looks like it needs hitched and I might be headed south in no time......oh and Beer can only go so far,I need warm weather and my boat.!.............!If the possee aint lookin fer me in the mornin for stealing thy neighbors horse.........

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    It wasn't too many years ago that we broke records and got almost three feet of snow. We were living on top of a hill behind Sperryville in a little cinderblock parsonage, surrounded by mountain peaks: Mary's Rock to the West, Oven Top to the North, Red Oak to the East, and the Hazel and Old Rag to the South. From our vantage point you could see the entire village of Sperryville and almost to Washington, Virginia.

We figured that the almost vertical, narrow road leading up to our house would be socked in for days, so we prepared for the long seige. The blizzard blew in, just as the weatherman promised.

The wind howled mercilessly all night, sweeping off the ridges and down the hollows, dark hollows named Buck, Old, and Gid Brown. Little protection was provided on our exposed knoll, so the metal roof clacked and double-hung windows whistled.

We arose in the morning to a stillness. Deep blue sky against pure white snow...ah, what a sight!

I was raised from childhood that snow was something that must be attacked with purpose. Skiing? Sledding? You gotta be kidding! Snow exists to be shoveled, moved as if it were an obstacle, a nuisance, a task thrown atop all other chores that refuse to take leave despite the weather.

So I armed myself with shovel, placed conveniently inside ready to go. Exactly how I was going to shovel three feet of snow was a good question.

I was surprised to find that the back porch was clear, so I stepped outside. That's when I realized that the wind had cleared a path entirely around the house from the foundation out about fifteen feet! Clean to the grass, down to the driveway--not a flake on the cars. No shoveling was required; a minor miracle as far as I was concerned. Perhaps it pays to live in a parsonage!

The unfortunate downside was that all of this snow drifted flat across the steep banks of our access road to a depth of over six feet. A bulldozer and front-end loader appeared the following day to dig a narrow passage through the drift so that our neighbor deputy could get back to work.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..." :roll_eyes: