Blizzard,[Mayflies]

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Nightprowler, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Went fishing last nite with Dink and shortly after nightfall the mayflies started swarming all over the gmr.It looked like a blizzard fell upon me and Dink and after a while they fell to the the river.The top of the river looked milky white there was so many of them it was unbelieveable.It did'nt take long for the fish to figure this out.I swear there must been hundreds of channels grubbin on the mayflies not to mention the carp.This would have been a flyfisherman's dream.Did anyone get to witness this lastnite?

Attached Files:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I saw it last summer, this summer was not that bad on my lake.

That night last summer was the only time I have been skunked catching catfish.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Mayfly larva live in the water and need little or no current to survive. So Erie gets them horrible. I was up there last summer when they were out and we saw the county road crews using bobcats and trucks with snowplows to clear the streets. There was 2-4 foot drifts on the side of the roads of mayflies. Needless to say the walleye and perch were not to interested in our bait. They were stuffed!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink turn the lite out man, your running off the flatheads:lol:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, if you were only witnessing what we saw! nightprowler was wrong, there were THOUSANDS of channels grubbing on the surface! id say every square foot there was a channel, i would have never imagined that river had so many channels in it! for some reason the mil-candle spotlight didnt phase 'em. dont worry, we were fishing downstream and the spotlight was directed upstream. those dang things were goin up ny nose, in my mouth, ears, eyes, it was horrible!:crazy:

6. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    that was amazing, i was out also and it was so bad you could barely breathe!!

7. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We got hit with them last Saturday, here in east central Indiana. We were out on Brookville Res. when all of a sudden we were covered with them. It lasted a couple of hours and then seemed to end. I had to wrap a towel around my head and neck. It seemed to really kill the bite, we fished most of the night and only got 6 or 7 between the two of us.

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    .............Did the flies draw the turtles away??

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as a matter of fact it did! for the first time in a very long time.....NO FREAKIN TURTLES!