blinking lights

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by johnboat, Oct 17, 2005.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    ok, heres a problem i've asked alot of people about, but no one can come up with the right answer...I bought a old (1976 ford 350) rv to take on short fishing trips.. everythings original in it ..only got 73000 actual miles..anyway, i was out late one night, and the headlights started to flicker, then went off and on, like i was using the pull-switch...got kind of hairy till i got home.. a neighbor told me to wire a ground from the headlights which i did, coming straight out of the headlights to the chassie... did'nt seem to help..another guy told me it could be the dimmer switch not grounded properly, so i take it off, sand the metal bare and put it back.. no luck...anyone got anymore ideas i can try ?? i really would like to get this thing going for night time fishing.. :confused:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    My guess would be you have a cut or worn thru wire some where, follow the wires from the switch to the lights and battery. Also I would look for any loose connections.

3. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I have had numerous vehicles that did the same thing and it was always a faulty dimmer switch. Have you tried replacing it?

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Also check to see if there is a headlight relay installed. If so, that one item can give you fits of all kinds. Could also be the switch itself. Couple things to check.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    HeHeHe sure pays to have a few "oldtimers" around that remember the ideosyncrasies of the older vehicles.I'm betting on the dimmer switch!!!!

6. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Old Timers!!! Thats not very nice Jim lol.

7. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    just a thought, I had a 73 ford 3/4 ton and the light switch had a bimetal breaker built into the headlight switch itself, my lights would do the same as yours and found it by accident when I touched the switch and it was warm, replaced the switch and cured the problem
    Luck David

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    my money would be on the dimmer switch..same thing used to happen to me. Got to where they would go completely out and I would have to hit the dimmer switch a couple times for the lights to come back on but it started out like you were saying blinking every now and then.. had to jury rig them one night when they didnt come back on! Little harry doing 55 with a boat behind ya..

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Might also check the headlight switch itself. Seen alot of them go bad and cause similar problems. Usually they will start getting pretty warm when the problem is occuring. Could also be that dimmer switch or loose connections or bad wires.

10. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    OK guys,

i'll take all your advice , and see what happens.. alot of good ideas there..
    now all i need is about 2 or 3 hours of daylight after work, and an open parts store... i'll let you all know how it turns out...thanks all !! :)

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you need a new dimmer switch. Even if it is something else the switch is the place to start but more likely than not that will fix your problem.

12. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Hey dude why did you give me a negative rep point? I was trying to help you. lol

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    WOW, I got a NEG. rep point for that johnboat?????

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Whats with the negative reports?????????

15. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    jim, spoonfish, and chuckb, (and any i missed...) i did'nt mean to give you all negative reports, and if i could change them i sure would... i was was half sick on my feet when i hit the wrong buttons that night.. if i can get a mod to change it i will.. you guys are the best, and deserve alot more positive rep points...again, sorry.... :crying:

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks bro. no problem. Did you get the lights fixed?

17. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    spoon, i'll know tonight ..lol.. it's now 5:50 a,m and i'm gonna try to get ready for work... :blink:

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not to worry ,we was just joshing you anyway.Hope the light problem is fixed

19. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    "And there i was..out on the highway just crusing along, rain coming down in sheets, then it happened.. the lights started doing their "thing" again"... and yep, i replaced the dimmer, checked the grounds, etc.. looks like its time for a new(?) pull type light switch itself...its a bummer trying to get this thing worked out, but i ain't giving up..just hard to figure things out when i'm not savvy in this type of area..lol...bet i spent a whole night, trying to find a wiring diagram off of the internet...no luck...and so continues the story...lol..
    by the way spoon, i see you're from warsaw.. i use to live in buffalo, till i got "transplanted" here by the wife.... :p

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Johnboat, I live over in Fairbury, and would be glad to wander over that way on a Saturday and see if I could be of any assitance with your lights. Not saying I can fix them but have worked on a few during my life. Mostly my own but am always willing to help out. Dick