Bleeding prior to skinning catfish to eat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by squirtspop, Mar 3, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've looked through all of these discussions and haven't found this mentioned before.
    A friend told me that he always hangs his fish and cuts off the tail to "bleed" the fish before skinning. The theory was that it is like cutting the throat on a beef or deer to drain all the blood. Supposedly this improves the taste of the fish. I've tried it and can't tell any great difference on the smaller 1-5 pound channels. May be some noticable change in a large blue or flathead. But as I am still waiting to catch one of them. Any comments?

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    can't answer your question...but i personally filet every fish i keep.

I put them on ice at the body of water i'm fishing. Take them home...filet soon after getting home and then soak the filets in salted ice water for 15 to 60 minutes...has worked for every species of fish that i catch.

cyas
    rc

3. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Try soaking your fish in cold salt water for a while before cooking. You might be surprised at the way it tastes. The salt water pulls a lot of blood out of any wild game or fish , improving the flavor in my opinion. I sometimes soak overnight.

4. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i catch a really large flathead, and can't cpr it (not going there!!)
    i cut it around the tail and hang it for a while, maybe half hour. there is a suprising amount of blood in a fish. after skinning, fileting and chunking the meat, i soak it in ice water for half an hour. the meat will turn as white as snow. on fish smaller than #10 i just soak the filets in ice water, bag and freeze.
    catwacker

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Here is what I do. While the fish is still on the stringer and alive I cut all the gills on 1 side of the fish and put him back into the water. As he moves his gills he is bleeding himself out. It makes it a lot easier and cleaner when fileting the fish.

It is just like shooting a deer in the lungs, he bleeds out.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I cut and bleed all of my catfish that I intend to eat. I use to do it only on bigger fish but I do it on all of them now. It takes almost off of the blood out of the meat and less time soaking them trying to get rid of it all. I personally do not hang them. Instead I cut off all their tails and place them back into the livewell. They will push out much more blood still being able to swim around then hanging them out to bleed.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same thing that i do! dont know if its the salt, or the fact that filets sit in water overnight (in fridge) but a lot of blood gets drawn out. makes the filets taste better anyways.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cutting at the tail or cutting it off completely while the fish is still alive, lets the heart pump out most of the blood that'll affect the flavor, then put on ice for the best and freshest flavor.

The first things to spoil on a fish are the guts and gills, which will affect the flavor.

I learned this from some Japanese buyers at port Canaveral. Them boys know how to examine a fish. If it's not killed and bled right, you ain't selling it to them.

9. scum_bucket

scum_bucket New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just cut the tail when i catch the bigger ones. its worked well for me.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I have never seen blood in catfish meat.

Danny

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you do not have to bleed fish. soak them in water . the blood will come out.

12. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a friend that said this really improves the taste of carp. I don't eat carp myself but I suspect anything you could do to improve the taste of carp would be worth trying.

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    okay guys, thanks for the inputs. I always soak mine in saltwater too but was curious about the bleeding.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Okay guys, will try the tail cutting and putting back into the livewell. Sounds like it would take less time too. They could be bled out before I get home. Thanks for responses.

15. jerrydean

jerrydean New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Same here. I just skin 'em, lop their head off, and filet or cook whole. I like my fish to taste like....fish.:confused:

16. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    we usually hang and cut the tails of ours that are over 15lbs and it usually makes the meat WHITE and taste is better to me!!!

17. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with jerrydean, I like the taste of fish.