Bleeding live bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I normally fish for flatheads with live chubs, bullheads, bluegills, sunfish, goldfish and so on and so on. Basically what is available to me in my area.

I have seen where numerous people have posted that they like to bleed their live baits. My questions about this are: Does it make a significant difference in getting hits? Where and how do you cut or bleed the bait not to slow down its movement or kill it. What type of bait to you prefer to bleed the most. Just curious because I have never tried it for myself.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    bleeding bait draws attention much faster , theres several ways to bleed your bait you can cut off the tail , remove a fin or 2 , cut a slit in the back all the way to the spine , cut there gut open they wont live long cut but will put out alot of fear phermone witch seems to draw in the predetor fish . here is a nother thread along this line http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32328 post # 7 has a diagram on how i cut

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks...good info. Can't wait for next spring to give it a try.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    there aint no reason you cant try it now , the fish we have here in kentucky dont hibernate :lol: im sure they dont in your area either , get out there and get them whiskers

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah they probably are still around but the action has almost come to a stand still. Here in central Iowa we have had numerous nights below freezing and the water temp is now in the upper 40's. So it is going to be pretty tough from here on out for flatheads. Not giving up though... another bad thing is that the interior waters of Iowa doesn't have any blues either. They are only found in the boundary waters of the Missouri and Mississippi River. It is a 2 hour drive to the Missouri River and a little more than that to the Mississippi River....So if the flats are done it looks like channel cats for me until spring