Blaze Orange

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 19, 2009.

Is blaze orange required where you hunt?

1. Required during gun season.

2. Not required during gun season.

3. required during muzzle loader season.

4. Not required during muzzle loader season.

5. Yes, I think it helps keep people safe.

6. No, I don't think it does much to keep people safe.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lets try this again. I forgot to allow multiple choice.

Up until about 10 years ago, there was no blaze orange requirements here in Virginia during gun season only. It is not required during Muzzle Loader season. A hat covers the square inch requirements here so I don't mind too much. It doesn't make much difference while deer hunting, but you can't get passed a Turkey with it on. If you spook the Turkeys, you spook every deer in the area, too. Is blaze orange required during gun season in your state? Do you think it helps save lives/injuries?

2. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Moderators, could you please delete the last thread on blaze orange? I forgot to add multiple choice! Duh!! Thanks!

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Okla. requires a total of 400 sq in. upper body and a blaze orange head cover

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wear a Blaze Orange hat and vest while walking in the woods to and from my stand. Not required during bow or muzzle loader in VA but I wear it anyway while walking. Once in the blind or on the stand, I put on a camo facemask and park the orange on a branch at head level close by. Hopefully another hunter will see it and the deer don't care when its setting still and not bobbing around on my head.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Required in KY during All firearm deer seasons .....Now it may prevent some accidents ...If you are in a thicket and can see 20yrds.....hummm.Or if you hunt out of a groung blind tent hmmmm. If you fall outta tree or are injured it might help you be found . Just some thoughts to consider . I also might add that most accidents are done outta complete stupidity ! Hunter safety coarses and anti-buck fever meds might help ! Kidding about meds .

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In Missouri it is mandated a plane blaze orange hat and Vest no camo patterns ect, will be worn when deer hunting with a firearm. We still have problems but most the time its guys self inflicting by dropping a rifle ect. I dont think we have had a mistaken shooting in a few years. Local MDC agents patrol checking deer camps ect and write up fines and hand out Hats, vests, tickets ect. Blaze orange dont seem to spook deer had em look right @ me @ 20 yards and go back to eaten. Some even wear all blaze orange coveralls lol they look like a big blaze orange marshmellow. Them guys still kill deer

7. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I live in Okla. and deer hunt in both Okla. and Texas. Tx doesn't require orange. I dont know if Tx has anymore hunting accidents than Ok, most are either guys shooting themselves, people shooting at what they think is a deer, or accidents from unsafe handling of a gun. I think it should be left up to the individual instead of the government deciding for us. Kind of like helmet rules.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    blaze orange isn't required where i am unless you hunt on the federal lake land. i do just as good without or with it on, so i don't mind wearing it for deer. as for the "accidents', i think the majority of them are going to happen either way. most accidents i have heard about are either from not identifying a target, or not knowing what was beyond the target at the shot. it's all avoidable!

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    In Ohio a hat used to fulfill the needed requirements until a few years ago. For some reason, they decided that you needed to at least wear a vest. Square inches of orange is not enough...it has to be at least a vest. Anything more is up to you.

Personally, I don't really get it. I'm a safe hunter and have never came close to any kind of accident caused by myself. However, just last year, and it wasn't the first time, I had hunters that didn't check the area that they decided to hunt, and they ended up shooting right in my(and my nephew) direction. We actually heard the slugs ripping through limbs above our heads. A lot of good that orange did for us.

No amount of orange can make up for stupidity. Hunter courses and experience mean absolutely nothing if you do not practice what you have supposedly learned.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Required in WV during All firearm deer seasons.

Me? I only wear it when I am moving. Otherwise I sit on it.

There should be no reason to wear it at all, but many fools are in the woods. :sad2:

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    required in ohio gun and muzzleloader season has to be blaze orange or camo orange if you wear a vest cant be no brown on it i wear orange coveralls and a orange coat and as big as i am if they cant see me theyed have to be blind

12. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Blaze orange is required for all gun seasons here and for anyone afield during those times except waterfowlers. I'm a firm believer in blaze orange, hard to mistake a hunter wearing blaze for a deer. I know we should all be safe and smart enough that it isnt required but we all have to admit theres alot of slob hunters out there. I know I feel safer with blaze orange on. Most of our hunting ground is posted but theres still those who try to jump a fence. I dont go overboard with the orange. Hat and 3x vest is my outfit. I dont like it on my arms as I have wore it before and deer could see it when I moved too much. If a 3x vest of blaze orange wont keep me safe then theres problems in the woods anyhow. Thats probably at least 600 square inch's of blaze.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not required here during either season,And No I don't think it helps save lives. The only thing that can do that is hunter ethics and KNOWING your target BEFORE you shoot. If I couldnt tell the difference in a deer and a man,I wouldnt be hunting.

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    It is required in tennessee. I was hunting a laural thicket once. I climbed on top of a huge bolder. I had been there about a half hour when I began hearing the leaves rustle. I kept hearing it for half an hour then way down in the thicket I started seeing a flash of white fur occasionally but could not really make it out. It was in range so I decided to see if I could find it in my scope. I saw it several times but only a flash bucks only were legal then so I kept looking for the horns. I never did take my safty off nor put my finger on the trigger. When I finally got a good look it was another hunter wearing a fur lined hood. I almost fell off the rock I was on. I left the woods and have never hunted deer again. I would recognize the guy who was wearing no orange at all and always wanted to find him and tell him what had happened. I am convinved many hunters would have shot that fur.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    In MN the visible portion of the cap and outer clothing above the waist excluding sleeves and gloves must be blaze orange. Camoflage patterns are allowed but at least 50% of each sqft must be blaze orange. This is for anyone hunting or trapping in the firearms season. Trappers on water don't need it. The entire reg is in the book, but that is the short version.

When I was young I only needed a red hat when trapping, but even small game hunters need blaze orange now. Makes it easy for the game wardens to see em.

I figure it helps some, I had 2 people walking in my direction thru the woods but at the distance they were I would not have seen em without blaze orange. I figure if I didn't see em they were behind trees and safe if I had something to shoot at. Since they were moving, sometimes I could see em sometimes not. Since I knew they were there I wouldn't shoot that direction.

When a hunter is sure of his target and what is beyond it, that will save lives. Shooting at a sound in the bushes might result in wounded game or dead hunters.

I wear all blaze orange when I go hunting, I know that there are some folks out there that don't have sense. Orange hat, gloves, coat, and orange camo bibs. I got orange shirts and t-shirts so I can be comfortable no matter what the temp is. I want to make sure that if someone sees a deer they also see me if I'm in the area behind the deer. I've had at least 2 deer stare right at me but I sat still and they went back to what they were doing. One big thing is making sure the brighteners from laundry detergent are washed out. Deer can not see orange like we can, but the brighteners in detergents can make clothing put off a glow that is unnatural.

16. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Here, I think it's required on public land, but not on private land. I think that's the way it should be, but I don't think it should be required if you're in an elevated stand.

As far as saving lives, I don't think it does too much when still hunting. There have been a lot of shootings where the victim was wearing orange. I think it does help though if you're driving deer or rabbits, or if you're hunting pheasant or quail like they show on TV, or any other kind of hunting where the hunters are constantly moving. I don't think it would work well during turkey season either.

Most accidents would be prevented with proper education and trigger control, but that doesn't mean orange won't help as well. In the examples above where I stated I believe orange helps (where the hunters would be moving around), I think you should always use orange in those situations. It allows you to more easily be able to see where everyone is and to pick out the safe shots. If everyone were wearing camo, then it would be harder.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I believe orange helps when bird or rabbit hunting where you have several people afield. I don't think it does much good for deer hunting, at least in heavily wooded areas. Places where long range shots are common, I think it allows you to see if there are hunters beyond your target. I believe 99.9% of hunters are safe and ethical. They don't point their guns unless they are absolutely sure that there is a deer in front of them. Statistics prove that most hunting accidents are hunters shooting themselves. I'm not sure the rest are actually accidents. One case I'm familiar with was a guy in Georgia that had a blaze orange jump suit on, sitting 20' up a tree, and someone shot him in the chest, killing him. That's not an accident!

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "When I finally got a good look it was another hunter wearing a fur lined hood. I almost fell off the rock I was on. I left the woods and have never hunted deer again."

Never shoot until you are 100% sure of your target and what is behind it. It's 'bout the most basic of rules.

And you have personal experience why. ( I have several similar stories)

You can't trust that everyone in the woods has as much sense,, but then again, we all trust our lives to hundreds of other auto drivers every week. The odds on the road are much worse.

19. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    plainsman is correct. Deer do not see orange BUT they do see UV colors and see blue VERY VERY well. Blue jeans washed in regular laundry soap will look like a blue light on a police car in the dark! The special on animals I was watching showed what they see using an ultraviolet lens and WOW!! The guy wearing worn older blue jeans was visible about 75 yards away through the woods and he was in a tree stand. When they went to a regular lens there were about 5 people in the picture but there cloths were washed in UV killing soaps and they were wearing all colors including blue jeans.

20. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its not required in Idaho and I don't ware it. It never hurts to be seen, but in some cases I think it promotes a poor message of not being sure of your target befor you shoot. I worked in the woods for 30 years with the Forest Service and there are lots of people using the outdoors that are not hunters. Be sure of your target, and be sure of your backstop.