blaze orange caps for ground blinds?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Believer, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, guys I'm hoping someone can help me here. I need to come up with something for my blind. I know Ameristep makes caps, but they are blaze camo and that is not allowed in IL. It has to be solid blaze. Last year I strung some cheapie vests around the top of the blind, but that's pretty lame. :embarassed:

thanks!

Eric

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You talking Caps as in a hat? Wal-mart here sells cheap blaze orange hats and Bait Pro Shops also sells them. The have the Redhead Logo on them, but here that's OK. If you're talking about a cap for the blind, find a shop that sells sewing material and make one. I think even Wal-mart has blaze orange material in their sewing department. Take just a few minutes to stitch it up to make a top for a blind I'd think.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I just cut up some old vest and sewed a large square a t the top on each side so it can be seen from all directions.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Eric, I could be wrong, but in Indiana the blaze orange requirements are for what you wear. The camo orange doesn't meet the requirements, but it's not illegal....so if you had on a solid vest or cap, and used camo orange on your blind, you'd be legal and safe. Some of the guys here wear camo orange, with a solid cap, and it's legal. Lots of the stores, including BPS are selling it, even with it not meeting the legal requirement. Guys are doing what makes them feel safe.

5. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    In Mo. for reg gun season you have to wear orange vest and hat. I just put the squares on to help (people) see the blind. I know from experience those walls won't stop a bullet.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Yes, I meant a top for the blind. I hadn't thought about making one, I may try that.

Thanks!

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Unfortunately, I have to have solid blaze where i'm hunting...

From the IL hunting regs:

• Blaze Orange Requirement – Ground Blinds on
    Public Hunting Areas. It is unlawful to use or occupy
    a ground blind during any firearm deer season
    on public land unless at least 400 square inches of
    solid vivid blaze orange material is securely
    attached to the uppermost portion of the blind and
    a substantial amount of orange is visible for 360
    degrees

Eric

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You are quite correct! What I have a hard time understanding is that while MDC is so strict on the blaze not being camo blaze, they do allow you to climb into a blind that has no blaze showing. Makes no sense to me. In the meantime, I hang an extra vest on a nearby tree.
    Now that sounds like a story we all want to hear.

9. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Story not as bad as it sounds. A friend was shooting out of his blind last year with a scoped rifle. No blind in the scope but it was in front of his rifle barrel. The look on his face was priceless.:misdoubt::oops:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Got to be careful when you're bowhunting too, cause the sights are up higher than the arrow. First thing that comes to mind as I'm drawing back!

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That would be my recommendation of going to a fabric shop. But I don't sew so I would have to use saftey pins.

12. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    that seems strange to have to put hunter orange on a blind, im taking my 11 yr old dau. out next week for her first hunt, we are using a blind, i never would have thought of putting orange onthe blind itself though.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    ya could try a space / survival blanket, I got one silver on one side, and blaz de orange on the other, also fairly waterproof in case its rainin. another idea is some orange safety fence around the blind, it don't stop bullets, but it helps visibility, and I guess I'd rather stand out, than absorb bullets

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Go to the lumber yard get you some of those Orange Transportation Flags they use to transport big Equipment and sew them together. Best of luck and no matter what stay SAFE out there.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!! It's always alot more funny when someone doesn't get hurt! However, I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like something I'd do.:eek:oooh:

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Can you paint squares on the blind? There are places that sell blaze orange paint.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    maybe find an orange tarp and cut it to the size you need and sew it on there( i would just duck tape it on there):wink: