** BlackSmithing**

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by canepole, Jul 27, 2008.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Recently I have gotten into blacksmithing, I built me a forge outta a old water heater and my burn pan is a brake drum outta a old ford truck, My fan is a squrrel cage outta a 1964 chevy truck. it works pretty good. I also joined a group that meets in Adams,Tn the last sunday of every month. I was wondering if there's other's on here that do blacksmithing. I love it. and I'll be glad when my apendex surgery and umbellical hernia surgery mends so I can fire up the forge.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't do much ornamental work anymore, But I do work on the anvil and in the forge when I work.

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    When I was a kid I can remember this old man across the road from where we lived. He had a forge that he used to make metal things for the farmers around here. His name was Vester Moore. Years ago he passed away. A couple years ago I was at a neighbors house and there in the corner was the same old forge that I use to watch Vester work on. I told the guy that had it if he ever decided to sell it give me a call. Guess where it is now... I have it... I know nothing about using it but I didn't want it leaving the neighborhood. Hopefully some day I will learn to use it like Vester did so Meany years ago.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tom, sounds like a nice setup there.

When I was a kid I loved going to the blacksmith shop. And I still do.

While back when we were in North Carolina I watched and listen to the old boy in this picture for quite a while.

The other picture is a weather vane that an old blacksmith built for me in Colorado about 30 years ago. It's made to last a life time. The tube holding the rod is full of engine oil with a cover welded to the rod to keep rain water out. The flat iron is 1/4 inch. [FONT=Courier New,Courier]
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    those are some good picture's , I like the old weather vane, Thats pretty neat, and well built...