Blacks camp this weekend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Jul 24, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    who fishing the tour out of blacks? i might try to make this one. i planned a trip early this year for tarpon and thought it was the same day but its on thrusday. my dads going to be fishing in it anyways and i might try to make it. as for now if i make it we will be staying at blacks. will be fishing out of a red/ silver lund. just like to meet some more brother that fishing in this.

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i will be thear thursday staying at blacks see you down thear

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Good luck, guys! Hope that you get into some biggun's :big_smile:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    roundhill i will be looking for you. i plan to fish friday and saturday night. hope to find a few fish, havent been down in two years but i will try the old holes i use to fish. should be a good tournament. i like fishing with these folks. will be fishing out of my dads boat. he keeps that thing clean but i hope to slim it up good for him...lol.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Showed up for the registration. Many thanks to you Roundhill, for going to the trouble of bringing those 'no-name' hooks down for me, and the anchor buoy was a bonus, for sure. Every time I meet up with you, I learn a little something new, seems like. The deal you pointed out pertaining to the drift rig beads got me thinking; I may start pegging the bead for insurance. What do you think?
    Michael, you're right about your dad keeping that rig clean. I don't blame him. It's an awsome boat. It was a pleasure meeting you.
    I hope all of you guys had good luck. How about a report?

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    How about a report did anybody on here win?

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we finished 9th out of 36 boats. the fish are biting!!!!!!! we caught somewhere around 25-30 blues saturday night. we used up 6 dozen herring,8-10 white perch and 4-5 bream. lots of 3-4lb fish. we ran out of bait 1 1/2 hours before the end. we drifted one little area in the lower lake all night long. the tournament started out with thunderstorms at takeoff, so we went a 100 yards turned around loaded back up and got something to eat. we figured we would be better to wait it out. we got on the water 30 minutes before dark. our biggest fish was 23lbs and our smallest was 9lbs but we had 101lbs for 5 fish. the winning team had 149lbs of nice flatheads, they also had big fish cannot remember the exact weigh but somewhere in the mid 40s. sorry i didnt get to talk to you guys that much as we where having bait tank trouble. come to find out i didnt put enough water in it. we just couldnt land a kicker fish. the water rough and i think we needed another drift sock to slow us down for the big bite. our fish came out of 8-10ft of water. nice to meet you guys and we had a good time.

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    what catfishrus reported was correct we finished 10th with 98lbs we fished about the same area from 20ft to 35ft it was great meeting new people and some old friends hope to see some at the king kat classic this fall.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Who had the 149lb stringer I'm just gonna guess that its either Frank Drose or Ricky Drose.Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That was a pretty good showing for the BOC boys, I'd say. Congrats on the good finishes.

Bigboy & I fished that area today. We didn't get there until 8:30 because some dummy left the accessory switch turned on the last time I went. :embarassed: Had to take extra time to charge the cranking battery. Anyway the wind was too strong to drift, so we went into the upper lake for a couple of hours, but no luck, then the wind died down and we went back south around 11am. Now the wind was almost calm, so we made extremely slow drifts, but still ended up with 8 decent fish and several misses. They seemed to be hitting short today. Largest one landed was 23# (caught on a nightcrawler); all were released. Miserably hot, finally gave up around 1:30.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tommy thats funny you said nightcrawler because i forgot to mention that when we ran out of bait, we used the night crawlers that we had for the white perch. chris i dont remember who the guys where. i tell you i done without a lot of sleep this weekend. the tarpoon fishing was fun but we couldnt get them to bite. kind of neat watching them 80-140lb fish come up for air all around the boat. i talk to kevin davis for a second about what he thought would win and he said blues. he said it took 186lbs to win a tournemnt somewhere last weekend with blues if i heard him correctly. the area we fished was like a little hump in 12 ft and would come up 8-10ft and back down. we caught a few flats drifting friday night and 1 saturday night that was culled. the strange thing was we only caught 1 channel saturday night. we caught fish in deeper water friday night but the bite was slower. we pulled into shallower water last thing friday night and i caught 4 blues within 30minutes, so we went back to that spot all night saturday. i think if we could have caught a kicker 30plus which i missed on the hook set, then we would have been in the money. another thing i cannot understand is why 90 percent of the fish we caught came off the same two rod holders. i caught all the bigger fish we had and dad fished the front and only caught the 9lbers. i told him if i only had some help....lol.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had that happen a couple of weeks ago: most of the fish were coming off of one rod. I took a good look and re-rigged the other 3 to be just like that one, and it wasn't long before I had caught fish on all 4 rods. Sometimes, just very small differences matter. I normally have at least 2 variations when I start fishing, then if I need to I'll make changes.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tommy we had out 7 rods drifting off the side. we rigged them all at the same time and the same way. we used the 7 ft wonderrods and had the same 30lb test line and reels. the leaders where the same. when we moved one time, i used one of dads rods with a white perch that he had drug all over the place and never got a hit on it. i used it on the back and within 10 minutes i had him. its been that way evertime i have fish at santee. its either the front or the back. all i can figure is the front of the boat is lifting the bait up too much when a wave comes by. sometimes they like it and most of the time they dont. we let out some extra line line also. maybe its just luck but it sure can get to you when your on the wrong end of the boat. i was picking at dad because tony was baiting his and he smokes and i kept telling them it was that cigarette smoke on the bait. man i had some good laughs over this in the tournament.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Maybe it's just all in who's "holding their mouth right", as they say around here. :lol:
    In the case I mentioned above, one rig had a slightly larger cork 8" from the hook, and the others were 6". When I made that minor change, I started picking up more fish on the other rods. Coincidence? Maybe, but something made a difference.....

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys if you want to see the results and photos they got them posted on the site. that was a good one in my book. you dont always get to see that many fish getting weighed in.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was looking at those results yesterday and thinking the same thing. Even with the weather system you guys had to deal with, there were a lot of fish caught, and some pretty big ones, too, obviously.
    Congrats again to you and Roundhill, and your partners.

17. fishman247

fishman247 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the reason the same rods catch fish is simple.......they have the freshest bait....when the rod gets a fish you rebait and the fish goes for the fresh stuff not whats been there awhile.........

really i have no clue but thios sounds good

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Congradulations CATFISHRUS for winnin the tourny, we should have went and tied up to you:big_smile: .Somethin kept tellin me to go to where yall where but I didnt want to make that run.Tommy I really appreciate those weights their the best ones I've had.It was a pretty fun weekend with the exclusion of 30mph winds and rain.Micheal you know if I hadnt of told you about the tourny we would have finished in the money.:lol: Just kiddin. It was nice to meet both of yall and Ken we looked for you but we only seen your boat with knowbody in it.

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks chris i owe you one brother. thats the first win for my dad and i. that water was rough today but we just was catching so many fish that we couldnt leave the area and by the time we did decide to leave i thought it may have been to late:crazy: . my head is still jumping them 5-6 ft waves.

tommy good to see you again.

friday report
    guys here a 40lb flat i caught on friday but the water was a lot nicer on friday. this is my biggest flat of the year so far.

Attached Files:

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Chris, Michael; good to know you both made it back home ok. I'll second the congratulations on the win, Michael. You and Chris both had to fight some really rough conditions today, and you both had a good showing, in my opinion. In talking with you guys, it's obvious you both are serious and capable cat-catchers ( I'm more of a cat-fisherman).
    Chris, you're welcome, for the weights. Michael, I'll email you with some information on sourcing.
    I just got in a few minutes ago, had to pick up the grandson from a party, and now I'm about ready to catch a nap. Later.....