Blackpowder kits

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Rastus, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    just was wondering if there was anyone around that builds blackpowder guns from kits to swap tips and tricks with? It is a hobby of mine that I throughly enjoy, but am lacking in experience.

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I've seen those kits on cabela's website. they look like they might be fun to try out sometime. whats the overall quality of the gun like, after its built?

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a CVA 50 Hawkin kit at a closeout $20 in 1985. It sat under my bed almost two years. My wife asked, (told) me she wanted me to build it or get rid of it. I admit I was a little intimidated by all the parts. I sat down and read the instructions and low and behold, the rifle came together like a champ. I probably did the worst job at blueing and and even more pathetic job at finishing the wood that had evr been done before or since. The barrel was made for patched round balls. What it didn't have in good looks, it more than made up for it in shooting pleasure. The rifle was as accurate as the shooter's skill level. Bullseye at 75 yards was a piece of cake. It hated sabots and even conical maxiballs. Those, it would throw all over the paper with no consistant pattern.

Only one I ever made.

4. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    The one I put together is out of a Cabela's. Hawkins 50 cal. The blueing job is ok, but I will probably redo it sometime before deer season. Over all it looks good and shoots as good as I do. The more attention to detail the better the finished product. As with any woodworking projects, applying the finish only magnifys any imperfections. The brass seems to tarnish after sitting in a closet since winter. It was a lot of work for me, but then again I tend to have the down fall of a perfectionist at some things. Buying a kit is not the way to go if your interested in saving money, but the finished product is something you can be proud of.

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've put togather 3 from kits and one of them was a shotgun.I did a good job on some and not so good on others.I have to say the last one I wasn't trying to build a looker but a shooter so I didn't try to get a great finish on it but I've had it for over 30 years and it still shoots spot on.

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
  7. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Thanks for the link Jesse, I'm always interested in increasing my knowledge, and hopefully, one day will be able to build one that is worth more to someone else than it is to me.

8. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    thought u might want to see some poor pics of finished 50 cal. hawkin kit rifle

Attached Files:

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Its a good muzzle loader I got it at bass pro good for the money.:roll_eyes:

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mine is the same way, ammo wise. My first one was a real rough kit with no inlay done and the barrel had deep machine marks in it which had to be sanded out without changing the octagon lines. The brass was all pitted like from a sand cast. It took five months of hard work to get it together, but it came out real nice. I put an antique finish on it. At 75-100 yards I have no trouble killing a ground hog....or a deer. I got a 5 pointer the first day in the woods with it. I will try to post some pictures of it.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    check out dixiegunworks.com lots of kits some junk but some pretty cool. I have built about 15 of them 4 barrel pistol don't work, 3 barrel is great, little bitty .45 cal derringer jumps out of your hand and smacks you in the mouth when you fire it. (neat gun, just don,t fire it)........:eek:oooh:

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HI FOLKS;
    I got the wolf out of the pen for a simple bath of remington rem=oil and a good throat scrathing with a brass brush. It seamed happy but he'll have wait to hunt for a little while longer. thinking about putting a pentax on top of it this year.

:big_smile:BRIAN