Blacklight question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by pelark, Sep 11, 2007.

1. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Being a bank fisherman, I am curious as to the usefulness of an LED blacklight flashlight as comparied to a battery operated blacklight tube. It seems to me that a tube would light a wider area (an advantage when fishing with the kids). I have seen both white/blacklight combination units that are relatively small and some larger tubes. I like to sit back and watch the line for the most part and don't know whether the LED flashlight would do the job for me. There are usually three of us fishing in relatively close proximity...me and the two little ones.
    Any advise would be appreciated and any experience with either would be, too.
    Thanks everyone.
    Phil

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Phil, I asked the same thing a few posts down the page and never got an answer. I don't guess anybody has one of the led blacklights. I saw one on the Bass Pro website and wondered if it would make the flourescent line glow like the other blacklights. I bought one of the white led lightweight headlights at Wal Mart and I never dreamed it would be so handy. I use it in the boat and I've started using it for my handy light around the house. If the blacklight version will make the line glow and still be able to tie on a hook it would be a bargain. If not, I think my Wal Mart special will be hard to beat. I guess I'll have to break down and buy one to find out.

Sam

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never used a led black light but I have used the tube type with one light and one black light. The black light works great for fishing, it makes the fishing line look like a rope and keeps the bugs from swarming the light like a clear light does.

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    as for myself i just use a propane lantern , kidds go once in awhile or when they don't have noth'n to do . heres a pic of a light that i use got it at wally-world has 3 light settings .
    (clips on your hat ( bill )

5. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since I posted this I bought a blacklight/fluorescent bulb combination light.
    I found it to be very useful out on the bank. The blacklight did a decent job lighting up my line and the white light was very bright and useful for tying knots and what-not. One of these days I will break down and try one of those black light LED flashlights to see how they work.
    The one I bought has a handy little "carrying handle" that straps to the frame of the light and it appears to be a good way to hang it from a nearby tree limb that doesn't hang over the water, or just to carry it while you are walking. The down side is that it takes 6 D cell batteries to run it and for such a "small light" (about 8 or nine inches from end to end) the litte sucker is pretty heavy...but it is a small price to pay for the advantage I suppose.
    Thanks for your input fellas...always appreciated.
    Phil

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I've got one. It's one of those that clips onto the bill of a ballcap. I don't care too much for that particular style because it's pretty much useless fishing with more than one pole (it doesn't light up anything in your peripheral vision). I've been toying with the idea of getting a battery operated, flourescent lantern and putting a blacklight bulb in it. Also, they don't work so good on braided line. What I did on my spinning rod (spooled with Power Pro) was to thread a crappie peg float (flourescent orange) through the line in between two of the guides (leave the peg out so that the float slides freely on your line). Pull off a little slack after casting so that the float sits low in the sag of the line. When kittie makes his run the line will tighten and the float will shoot up, catching your attention. The float doesn't interfere with reeling a fish in. Personally, I'm still weighing the pros and cons of blacklights vs glow sticks (I've used glow sticks for the past few years) Hope this helps.

Jon

7. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought one of thos Black lights from WW that clips on your hat(3lights). Does a good job lighting up what your lookin at but nothing else. I bought a Night eyes III from bass pro,it has 10 black LEDs aimed in a radius. I use a Small 12 volt Gel-cell batt. and works great. Last all night.... Hope this helps Jeff :smile2: