Blackhawk photos.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, May 30, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They landed a blackhawk in the cemetery today for a veterans memorial ceremony of some sort. Kind of a big deal for our dinky little town. Anyways, I got some good pics, and thought some of you might enjoy them. I also got video of the liftoff too, but I don't know how to post it. If someone tells me how, I will post that too.

Attached Files:

2. LIL_ostrom

LIL_ostrom New Member

State:
    Jersey- Stationed in Kansas
    Nice pics ! I actually got to take a ride in one of these while stationed in Afghanistan. UH60 Blackhawk. The one I was in was configured for med evac. You should see how many different configurations they can equip these helis with. Once again thank you for sharing these pics....

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another guy that went to see it said "That ain't no Blackhawk, it don't have any guns." They are used for almost everything. This one was to transport troops. Looked well used. Actually, it looked lived in like my car. They were letting little kids crawl all around in the cockpit. I just kept wondering how much stuuf those kids were screwing up by flipping switches, and turning knobs.:crazy:But, they took off just fine.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    cool pics,thanks for sharing!!!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wait until you see multiple helos tethered to a tanker as they fly over your house. refuel 2 at a time baby.
    I love living under military controlled airspace.:big_smile:

I was down at the barn drinking a refreshment earlier while I had front row seats for a low level dogfight skirmish between two F-15's.
    When one locks onto the other the counter measure flares start popping out of the sitting duck. This goes on all afternoon and most times up until about 10 or 11 PM. 3 or 4 days a week. On weekends they open up the airspace to civilian aircraft. Civilian aircraft can use the airspace anytime but its at your own risk. Weekends are "safe" days.

I can really get a show once in awhile if I can get their attention on a slow flyby.
    They'll break the tree line down at the barn , one breaks left the other right and I'm sure there are rules about low level inverted flight somewhere in their training manual:big_smile:
    Now thats a show at about 700' and loud. The shelter roofs sound like they are about to come off. You gotta love the Air Force.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks for sharing the pics matt

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Cool pics Matt!:cool2:Thanks for posting!

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's neat, Matt! I see what you mean a lil about the "lived in" look, but it's still a sleek machine. My son will love to see it when he wakes up... thanks!

10. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Those are some great pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.

I grew up in Biloxi near Keesler AirForce Base and our teacher was married to an airforcemen and we were allowed to go on a field trip there. We toured alot of different air planes and helicopters. I was amazed how big the C-130's (I think) are, The Hurricane Hunters. We were given a lil introduction to everything that was going on and 3 guys in fatigues came in, after that..I was on :003:. I went home and told Mom that I was going to marry me an airforcmen. I think I humored my Mom and myself now. :lol:

But seeing those pictures, kinda had a flash back :still_dreaming:

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I know how he felt. I wont spend 50k on a hummer unless it comes with the 50 cal mounted on top.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you think the C-130 looked big you got to walk through a C-5A Galaxy. Now that is a plane.

I've been in a B-52 bomber that was reconfigured into a refueling tanker.
    There were 2 beds side by side in the extreme tail of the plane. Real cramped space. The fueling crew laid on these beds and utilized controls to "fly" the fuel hose to the plane being refueled.

We get our fighter traffic out of Seymour Johnson AFB 30 minutes away by car. Its a tactical fighter wing. I remember when it used to be a bomber wing with the 52's and some F-4 Phantoms.
    We get alot KC10 tankers, C-17's, C-5's and other pretty large aircraft over another farm we have 4 miles away. That farm is under the turning pattern to line up on one of the runways. Some of the flybys are real low and slow. Its not unusual to be able to see a fighter pilot in great detail on those flyby's and wave. They'll wing wave back.
    To give you an idea of how low and slow. You can hear the whine of the motors that move the control surfaces. I guess they a hydraulicly driven motors.
    Every correction he makes you hear the whine.

When I was a kid the sky used to have smoke rings all the time where the planes pushed through the sound barrier over the farm and the sonic booms could be heard when they dropped back below the speed of sound.
    Its very seldom you hear a boom anymore as its not allowed over land but they still manage to let one slip once in a while.:embarassed:

Now for a real treat go park in the parking lot of Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro on a day when some air national guard are pulling some time behind the wheel of the KC10 tankers.
    Some of them have a real hard time getting them to quit flying:big_smile:
    They aren't accustomed to the weight of the loaded plane and dont start slowing it down far enough in advance. I've seen one fly around 6 times before he finally got the wings to stop flying over the runway.:big_smile:
    I can stand in the parking lot and tell which ones are never going to set it down. You can visually see they are too fast. They got the gear down, the flaps down and are line up but it aint happening. That runway has trees at the other end.