Blackened Catfish Recipes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Markfishmd, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Markfishmd

Markfishmd New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Does anyone have any good recipes for Blackened Catfish?

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mark, it ant real blackend catfish, but it is good. I take a small fiddler size fillet and put Louisiana hot sauce on one side and Tony Chacheri's creole seasoning on the other. I get a black cast iron skillet so hot it starts smoking with nothing in it.(note it has to be a black cast iron one.) I take a table spoon of butter and drop in the smoking hot skillet and then throught the seasoned fillets in. I cook for 1 1/2 min on one side and 1 - 1 1/2 on the other. I it ready. I cook Tony's dirty rice with it and what a meal. Like I said, it ant true blackend, but I just don't ever buy the blacking sauce. Don't put to much seasoning on the fillets though, or it will be to salty. You can put as much hot sauce on, as it will cook of and leave just the pepper flavor. Hope this helps.

3. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    When I was in Florida recently, I caught a bunch of vermillion snapper and a couple of redfish. Since that time, I've been blackening just about every fish I catch here at home (mostly cats and stripers). Here's how I do it:

1.) Melt 1/4 - 1/2 stick of butter

2.) Dip fillets in butter.

3.) Liberally coat each side of the fillets with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends Blackened Redfish Magic.

4.) Throw the fillets in a smokin' hot cast-iron skillet and turn frequently until done (doesn't take long). By the way, be sure to either have a good hood fan for ventilation, or do this outside - all that smoke and cayenne will make your eyes (and mouth) water like nothing else!

5.) Enjoy!

I like to toast some King's Hawaiian Bread rolls/buns, add mayo and romaine lettuce, and a blackened fillet for the best samich you'll ever put in your mouth. It'll make ya smack yer mamma! :p

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ya, I forgot to tell you, don't cook it in side. The smoke will set off the smoke alarms.

5. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    The MOD's will be working on a Recipe Forum soon so be on the lookout for this ... you may find what your looking for when it becomes available

thanks

mike

6. cashukid

cashukid New Member

State:
    *Required*
    :D
    I hope the MOD'S, make the posts from the old wed site available.
    Sure would be a shame to loose all that good Information. :thumbsup:

7. Markfishmd

Markfishmd New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks guys for the recipes, I will put them to good use.

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Mark here's how we did blacken catfish at a resturant I worked at;
    First grill and or cook your fillets till done. (I grill mine in lemons onions and garlic bitter in foil on the grill.)
    Then take the cast iron skillet heat with nothing in it till smoking hot.
    Dash in "Blacked-redfish seasoning" , toss in the fillet till it begins to smoke slightly, remove, add more seasonong and smoke other side.
    Eat, enjoy.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm going to give blacken catfish a try. I hope when the neighbors stay away and not call the fire dept....lol

10. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    WHOO-WEE!
    Somebody dish me up a plate quick!

11. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    fwmud, that's a good idea, and it's what I do for the bigguns. "Pre-cooking" the big fillets at a lower temperature solves the problem of overcooking the outer portions and undercooking the center (I love sashimi, but not when it's accidental). :eek:

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I been looking on both boards for jtrues cheesy catfish recipe and can't find it.
    jtrue how bout posting again?

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jamey why are your posts always wider than the others?

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Either A: He's a really big guy, or B: It's his location that widens it out.

We used a tub of seasoning from TPC(local food vendor) at one place I worked at, it had seasoning salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a couple of other things I can't remember. We used to coat the whole fillet and put in the broiler for 10min and serve it on rice pilaf with a lemon twist, and a glass of wine.

Ray

15. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Guys, blackening is also the technique, not just the seasoning. True, you want something with a kick, either cajun or creole seasoning, but the act of "blackening" it in a cast iron skillet is what makes the dish.

If you don't have a serious kitchen exhaust, open your windows, and set up a fan...if you have asthma, have your inhaler handy :rolleyes:

16. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    Here's how I do it
    Turn that vent hood on super High, open some windows, turn on the fan! Or you could just go outside and do it on the grill.
    Put fillets in a bowl. Add 3tbl. sp. olive oil over them (just get some on all the fillets, it helps keep em from stickin to the skillet and helps seasoning stick). Let them chill in the fridge while you prepare the seasoning and heat the skillet.

At this point I put my cast iron skillet on the stove with it set on HI (not necessary but I spray the pan with Pam).

Add in a small container
    1tbl. sp. garlic powder
    1tbl. sp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional other seasonings included will add enough usually)
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    2 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. oregano
    Yeah! it's gonna be spicy! :eek:
    Mix all these together well. I usually put them all in an empty seasoning bottle to make seasoning the fillets easier.
    Take the fillets out of the bowl and lightly pat with paper towel to remove excess olive oil. Apply a coat of Tony Chacheres' to both sides of the fillets, then a coat of the seasoning mixture mentioned earlier.
    By this time that cast iron skillet on the stove ought to be smokin! Throw a couple those fillets in that pan and cook for approx. 1.5-2min on each side.
    Now your done.

I ususually will "blacken" some shrimp to go along with it and dirty rice is a must! MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm! :D
    Believe me it is worth a try!

Jerome

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Get a cast iron hot>
    melt some butter in a seperate dish>
    dip the catfish in the melted butter and then cover one side with the blackened seasoning of your choice.

Put the season side down in the hot skillet adn cover the other sid ewith seasoning. Let sit until you can see the fish cooked about half way up the side then flip. If the skillet is hot enough it shoul donly take 1-3 minutes a side.

If it turns out greasy (buttery) cut back on the butter.

iam not a cheif, but that's how I do it.
    _Brian

18. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Yes, and keep in mind, after it's flipped, it won't take as long as the first side, because you still have that heat in there coming through from the other side.