Black ..Yellow catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have caught flatheads all my life, we called them yellow cats..All were in a big local creek that runs through our county. Lately I have been catching yellow cats in the Tennessee river,or at least I think they are yellow cats..they are the same color as a channel cat and some are almost black.. But they have the flathead and very wide mouth and no yellow, I have never seen very dark flatheads..is this common? thanks!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have caught flatheads that were yellow, I have caught them green, brown, green and brown, almost black, almost orange. My favorite are the camo colored ones.:smile2:
    They are one cool fish.:cool2:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    IVE CAUGHT SOME AWFUL DARK ONES BUT I AGREE THE CAMO LOOKIN ONES ARE AWESOME LOOKING

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

A lot of ours around here tend to be pretty dark too.:wink:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think the flatheads tend to take on the color of their surroundings. I have seen several different colors also but they were flatheads.

6. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I think you're right about adapting to their surroundings.
    We caught one in the Okatoma River (small, dark river with Mississippi's only whitewater) that was jet black and snow white. Awesome looking!

I had only caught yellow ones before in other rivers and lakes.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The dark flatheads live in rocks, and trees. Dark ones come out of deep water too. They only get yellow when the water get muddy and if you are fishing in shallow water. Flatheads are like chameleons, they change color to adapt to their habitat.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Baby flats have the darker tendency.. at least here

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah it's common, it really depends on the river bottom of where you're fishing. flatheads are ambush preadators and will be different colors to camoflauge themselves against the rocks or sand or black muddy bottom of the river, it's Kinda like a great white the top of the great white is dark colored so looking down into the depths you can see them and the bottom are white so if you're bellow them they're still hard to see.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They are all different colors. Can't go on just the color. If it's got that flathead "face" and no fork in the tail it's a flathead. Every body of water has different looking fish. I can immediately tell a flathead out of the lake I fish all the time, no mistaking them especially comparing them to the river fish.

11. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have seen different coloration on flats taken out of the same stretch of water. These flats were caught within a half mile of one another in the Altamaha.
    [​IMG]

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken