Black Shoals Lake - Rockdale County

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Whiskerlips, May 18, 2009.

1. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've been here a few times and it seems to be a good little lake. Electric only. Anyone else fish here? Are there flats in here or just channels?

2. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i dont fish there but i did find this online so i thought i would try and held out a boc member:big_smile:
    Black Shoals Lake

Description:
    This 650-acre reservoir was constructed by the Big Haynes Creek Impoundment Authority to meet water needs for Rockdale County. The Rockdale County Parks and Recreation opened the lake to public fishing during April 2000. Public access is through Black Shoals Park located on Black Shoals Road off of Georgia Highway 20, about 6 miles north of Conyers. The park is open Thursday through Sunday. The park is generally open from sunrise to sunset, but varies by season. Fees (variable) are charged to enter the park and to launch a boat. Gasoline motors are prohibited on the lake. Directions and more details on park operations can be obtained by calling Rockdale County Parks and Recreation at 770-785-5922. The fish population supports good fishing for largemouth bass, bream, crappie, and channel catfish. WRD, in cooperation with Rockdale County, provides management of the fish population and fisheries.

Anglers experienced the typical new-lake marvels with high catch rates when the lake first opened last April. The fish population remains in very good shape. Almost 70% of the largemouth are greater than 15 inches in length. Anglers should expect to catch nice bass again this spring, but it will require a little more finesse after their education last April.

This spring will be the first time the black crappie fishery is truly exploited. All indications are that the population will be in good shape. There has been good reproduction and reasonable recruitment to the population each year since 1997, the first year of impoundment. Almost 70% of the fish exceed 11 inches. About 25% are 13-15 inches. This reservoir has approximately 16 acres of standing timber which should concentrate the crappie before and after the spring spawn.

Bream, both bluegill and shellcracker, abundance and quality are good. Anglers should expect best results during the first spawns this spring. Shellcracker typically spawn once each year, normally early to mid May. Bluegill are multiple spawners, but the best is always the first sometime around mid May. Channel catfish are abundant as a result of stocking 15-20 large fingerlings per acre over the last four winters.

Species: Largemouth Bass, bluegill, shellcracker, channel catfish, and crappie

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    good luck out there man:big_smile:

4. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks, I always read the DNR's reviews each year as well. I've been here a few times. Just caught some really healthy crappy out of there on Sunday, until the rain picked up too much. Caught a nice 4 pound channel out of there last year. I just haven't fished it as much as I should. Nice lake though.