Black Sea Bass 1-27-07

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Blacky, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We were 60 miles off the coast of New Jersey. Fishing in 300 ft of water.
    very good eating fish!!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Those are some nice bass. Bet you enjoyed catching and eating them. I can't remember when I've caught one anywhere near that big, but then I don't go very far offshore, either. I like to at least see the beach in the distance :wink:

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Wow 60 miles. Never been that far 10 miles the furthest for me. Nice lookin fish you got there. You can get some dry ice at the grocery store, boxem up, and send them to me:roll_eyes:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice fish! Are black sea bass endangered? Or is it white sea bass? I cant remember which one.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Don't know if they are the same, but caught quite a few on charter out
    of Beuford NC, a few years back, good eaters.

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Those were some nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those are some nice bass indeed! I've never gotten to go out after them yet, but I caught probably a dozen little dinks in the grass beds this summer while fishing for flounder and redfish. I also caught a 10" gag and a 8" black grouper fishing the same way, jighead and Gulp shrimp.

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea gotta love the sea bass. 60 miles is a long ride tho, but who can complain when ur catching in jan?

when i fish out of the Indian River Bay in Delaware its a nice 10 miles ride to B buoy and catch them as fast as you can get your bait back down to the bottom, of course not many were the size you got.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dameon... on the west coast of the usa the black sea bass is illegal to keep.... they are on the endangered list and must be released out here... The fish out here is much different looking than the ones on the
    East coast...

Blacky.... thanks for the post and the pics of your off shore trip... noticed the pole holders....What you do?... put em out, and wait?

bayrunner ray

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Those are some nice fish.
    Here on the west coast we have a Fish called the Black Sea Bass that they call a jewfish on the east coast.
    The Giant Black Sea Bass was harvested to near extinction in the 50s in Ca. coastal waters an was placed on the protected (no take) list in the early 60s. Since that time the GBSB has made a substantial comeback in numbers but the Giants of the past, 300lbs and larger are long gone. It takes these fish 100 years to reach the size of past catches so I don't expect to see any off Ca. in my life time. They still are caught on occasion in Mexican waters off the Pacific Coast of Baja where it is legal to take one (1). Last large one I heard about was a 80lb fish taken while fishing off shore of Bajia de San Quintin, at Isla de San Martin from a panga.
    The large numbers of small GBSB can be a nuisance to rock fish fishermen at times as they are very aggressive and move in large schools and when they move into a productive area for bottom fish often they are the only fish that is caught forcing a move to another area as you don't want to target protected fish. It is a thrill to catch one but a disappointment to have to return a beautiful 20lb fish to the water.
    I say it's a small price to pay to allow this marvelous fish to recover.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice looking black bass.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The pictures have my mouth watering I have fished for them on head boats on the East cost fun to catch and Great eating thanks for shareing

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Dameoun,

The west coast species and the east coast species are two totally different species, they just have the same name. The west coast ones are endangered while the eastcoast ones are plenty. The best time is during december and january. You can get them inshore too, bu they are smaller inshore.