Black Sea Bass 1-12-08

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Blacky, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Went on an annual deep sea fishing trips with some friends. We were fishing wrecks and rockpiles 60 miles offshore in 250 ft of wate off ther New Jersey coast. The target fish was black sea bass, the closest thing we have to grouper up in the northern waters. With a big hunk of clam, we sent our baits to the ocean depths with 20oz bank sinkers. Very good eating. I ened up with 26 which meant 52 nice white filets.

Enjoy the pics

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    No doubt about it. That is one of the finest eatin fish around. Glad ya had a good trip.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are very nice fish.

4. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    I can't view the pics because I dont have 10 posts yet (ok this is number 8 on the cheep lol) So how big were the Black Sea bass? I catch a LOT of them in Ga in the fall and winter months on wrecks using small pieces of cut squid at wrecks about ten miles off shore in about 45 feet of water. I agree that it is some of best eating fish around.

Rob

Attached Files:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Those are my FAVORITE fish to eat. Looks like yall nailed them and some good size ones. Congrats.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    james i thout you liked catfish an schrimp an alligator an sharring with fatboys.:wink::wink:

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    great catch, went last year for red snapper & vermillion snapper

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice fish...I've never been able to get out after them, but I've heard really good things!

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You have some real beauties there!

Hard to beat black sea bass for eating. Mmmmm.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to Go Blacky!!!! I had some black sea Bass Filets in My seafood counter last week and they were 14.99 a pound,sold like Hot cakes so I did not get to try any for Myself. Guess I'll have to order more,and save some back and and give Um a Try. They sure looked Good. J.D.:big_smile:

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never seen the Ocean and never seen a black sea bass.. but now i have seen a black sea bass.... next is the Ocean... Sounds like you had a sweet trip Tan.. Keep up the good fishing... and thanks for the pics

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thank you the nice comments fellas.

Up in New Jersey these fish can get to 8lbs. Down South, they don't get too big. For some reason, you can get em that big in January when it's freezing. We were dealing with 6 foot seas and 20 mph winds that saturday. Not alot of real big fish that trip, but I go on another trip in the next few weeks and should expect the big 6 and 7lbers. That's when I'll whip out my 10oz Japanese Butterfly jig. Now that's fun!

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Nice seabass, we catch a lot of them this time of year down here in Florida but as everyone said they aren't very big. A 2 pounder is a real good one. Biggest problem we have is once you hook a nice one something big eats it before you can get it into the boat !!:big_smile:
    WhiteRiverBigCats:I was born and raised in Indiana (Jeffersonville) Get out and see the world before it's too late !! If you ever get down my way (NE Florida) give me a shout, we'll go fishing !!!

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

That's right, Shane. I was raised in Evansville. One of my best decisions I ever made to to get away.

If you're ever my way (SE PA) give me a shout, we'ee gp fishing!!!!

But get and see the world.

15. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'm from Florida originally...
    Its good to see some deep sea fishing. I've caught those things, but they were too small! Keep up the good work, next time I get down to Florida, I need to get with one of you guys that knows what you're doing. My dad isn't very good at catching fish! Have a great day!

16. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I believe that Black sea bass are still on the endangered list in Southern California but they used to catch 400 pounders. A 10 pound fish is always welcome on the end of my line but an 8 pounder aint hardly even bait for them Black rascals that was regularly caught here (in the old days)and still being caught off Mexico.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on the sea bass. I thought they were protected? Maybe its the white sea bass?

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    They are a great tasting fish. I've caught many while porgy fishing near Hyannis Port in Mass.:wink:

19. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    The Black Sea bass caught in Calif. is not the same fish as the one in Florida (East Coast) same name , different game .

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

2 different kind of fish,just have same name.